Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

· Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My question is when putting standard blades on a mower does their orientation in relation to each other make a difference while moving debris to the discharge side and into the catcher. What I mean is all blades point to 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock compared to which ever direction they were pointing when bolted on.

FYI, I recently purchased a 48" TTHP that has 50% leaf blowout when bagging leaves while using MEG-Mo blades. The mower does not have a blade saddle on its spindle which dictates the blade position. Because of this blowout I have purchased a set of Oregon Gator Blades for the fall leaves and this question came to mind while putting them on.

· Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The blades do not touch when running.

Doesn't it make sense if the trim blade were slightly ahead of the center blade that is slightly ahead of the discharge side blade in their timing. That seems to be optimal for moving debris through the mower and into a catcher.

· Registered
310 Posts
It would make sense...only problem is the mower would look retarted
How would it look ********? He wasn't talking about changing the way the mower deck is built. He said timing. And you can't normally see the blades anyway, so there is nothing to look ********.

Besides, many, if not all, three blade decks are already built with an offset like he is describing. The blade spindles are not on the same line.

· Registered
5,568 Posts
I know walker times their blades there may be a few others. But your answer is NO for the most part.

· Registered
5,568 Posts
Thanks fellas for replying to this post. It was something that gave me pause as I put my sharpened and balanced blades on.
On most mowers even if you did line them up they would gradually move positions in relation to each other. Like the guy says bolt them on and go, just not upside down as has been done before by others.

· Banned
23,143 Posts
A belt-pulley drive system that gets engaged / disengaged a dozen times a day and free-wheels in between can not keep your blades synchronised, no matter how you put them on they will be out of tune before you hit your first lawn, so it doesn't matter.

· Registered
310 Posts
A belt-pulley drive system that gets engaged / disengaged a dozen times a day and free-wheels in between can not keep your blades synchronised, no matter how you put them on they will be out of tune before you hit your first lawn, so it doesn't matter.
I have to disagree. Unless your belt is slipping on one or more of the pulleys, or if each blade spindle has a different size pulley, which none do, there is no reason for the blades to not stay synchronised. They are after all, all being driven at the same time, at the same speed, by the same belt, the same PTO, and the same engine, right? I will admit however, that they rarely stay in synch, but that is usually because you hit something, which holds up or slows a blade in relation to the others, such as an ant hill.

As a matter of fact, I recently witnessed just this situation while switching between three different sets of blades while troubleshooting an unmowed stripe problem. Two of the three different sets of blades stayed where I put them in relation to each other. On the one time they didn't stay together, I had hit a small clump of half buried rocks with just one blade.

· Registered
5,568 Posts
I'll have to agree, they couldn't stay in synch long. Just my opinion.

· Registered
6,460 Posts
I'll have to agree, they couldn't stay in synch long. Just my opinion.
If your mower has a belt-engagement type clutch for the deck, they will not stay in synch for sure. When disengaging the belt, one spindle will undoubtedly spin longer than another one. Each will have a different amount of friction between pulley and slack belt.

On an electric clutch system, where the drive belt remains tight, perhaps the blades will remain the same position with regard to another.

I have both types of clutch on different machines -- I'm certain on the first assertion, but never checked about the electric clutch setup.

In the end, I don't think it matters at all, unless spindles are intended to run synchronized (e.g. cogged belt, gear driven, etc).

· Registered
2,126 Posts
My question is when putting standard blades on a mower does their orientation in relation to each other make a difference while moving debris to the discharge side and into the catcher. What I mean is all blades point to 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock compared to which ever direction they were pointing when bolted on.

FYI, I recently purchased a 48" TTHP that has 50% leaf blowout when bagging leaves while using MEG-Mo blades. The mower does not have a blade saddle on its spindle which dictates the blade position. Because of this blowout I have purchased a set of Oregon Gator Blades for the fall leaves and this question came to mind while putting them on.
Hey Dave,
Do you mind me asking about your Meg-Mo blades?
Is these the ones that have four blades on each spindle?
If they are, how much did they run you?
How do you like them, do they give you a better looking cut like the video states?
How long have you had them and with how many hours do you think that you have mowed with them on?
How are the Gator Blades with the leaves?
The reason I'm asking so many questions is because I sent a email to the Meg-mo people to see what it would run me for my 52" Wb exmark and they said $212.85 and would last 3 to 4 more than what ever I'm using. The thing is My blades only run me about $ 33.00 with out tax. Now if you do the math, that is only around $140.00 I don't see why I should buy them.
Please answer all my questions if you don't mind.
Many thanks,
Jay

· Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
JayD

My first experience with the Meg-Mo blades was with my former mower. It was a Toro Z-500 with the turboforce deck and it cut great, good lift, cut and dispersal with minimal blowout. I used those blades year round and was so happy with their performance I bought a set for the 48" Exmark TTHP I just bought. I traded in my old set for new ones at a slight discount so I cant say what they should cost new. I still feel that they are giving a better than average cut in all conditions including wet or dewy lawns but have found that they have too much lift for the shallower deck on the TTHP. I have experienced a 50% blowout with them when bagging leaves with my Excellerator bagger and that is why I bought the Gators. Regarding the Gators I haven't used them for probably 5 years now because of the Meg-mos and will be using them for the first time tomorrow (couple neighbors I do) I have also experimented with running doubles but cant remember what combination worked best, hi-lifts, standard, mulch or Gators.

· Registered
2,126 Posts
JayD

My first experience with the Meg-Mo blades was with my former mower. It was a Toro Z-500 with the turboforce deck and it cut great, good lift, cut and dispersal with minimal blowout. I used those blades year round and was so happy with their performance I bought a set for the 48" Exmark TTHP I just bought. I traded in my old set for new ones at a slight discount so I cant say what they should cost new. I still feel that they are giving a better than average cut in all conditions including wet or dewy lawns but have found that they have too much lift for the shallower deck on the TTHP. I have experienced a 50% blowout with them when bagging leaves with my Excellerator bagger and that is why I bought the Gators. Regarding the Gators I haven't used them for probably 5 years now because of the Meg-mos and will be using them for the first time tomorrow (couple neighbors I do) I have also experimented with running doubles but cant remember what combination worked best, hi-lifts, standard, mulch or Gators.
Thanks so much Dave for responding. I did forget about how they were to cut in wet or dew grass. That would help me some for that reason alone. I'm going to look at them at the big show next weekend in Kentucky.

· Registered
15,214 Posts
I have to disagree. Unless your belt is slipping on one or more of the pulleys, or if each blade spindle has a different size pulley, which none do, there is no reason for the blades to not stay synchronised. They are after all, all being driven at the same time, at the same speed, by the same belt, the same PTO, and the same engine, right? I will admit however, that they rarely stay in synch, but that is usually because you hit something, which holds up or slows a blade in relation to the others, such as an ant hill.

As a matter of fact, I recently witnessed just this situation while switching between three different sets of blades while troubleshooting an unmowed stripe problem. Two of the three different sets of blades stayed where I put them in relation to each other. On the one time they didn't stay together, I had hit a small clump of half buried rocks with just one blade.
LOL. Disengage and re-engage them 10 times and tell us what you come up with. I guarantee you they won't be close to being where they were set. The deck belt does NOT carry the same exact tension on every pulley of the deck. Therefore, inevitably, there is going to be different slippage.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.