Mower blades

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Firefighter6070, Jul 2, 2019.

1. Firefighter6070

Firefighter6070 LawnSite Member

I got a Cub Cadet Uktima Zt2 60" and I accidentally hit a metal pipe the first day I got it and replaced a blade.

Well, I am running into some issues...I don't know if I am screwing up or these are some cheap blades.

I do accidentally hit some limbs from time to time. I do hit ant beds at times, but trying to push them with the deck to the side now. And sometimes on a slope the blades might hit the dirt some.

But something is screwing these blades up...bad. I have pictures attached.

The blade that looks not destroyed is the old one I bent hitting the metal pipe.

I noticed these blades that are messed up and the other one still on my mower has some tiny holes in them. Yet the one blade I bent in the picture below has no hole in them. It looks like whatever happen cause the metal to RIP up toward that hole

What do yall think? Cheap blades?

20190701_201725.jpg
    20190701_201715.jpg 20190701_204227.jpg
    20190701_201239.jpg

2. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

No doubt cheap blades, but you are either hitting way too much ant hills etc or are in an extremely sandy area. The way those blades are wearing down tells me the latter is more likely. Stop trying to move ant hills with the deck for one thing. That's not a good ideal ever, and my guess is you cut fairly short? Try raising your cut height an inch or two.

Type in the part number for your oem blades on the net and see if you can find some from Oregon.

3. Hawkshot99

Hawkshot99 LawnSite Silver Member

For starters, wow those are the thinnest blades I've ever seen.....is this a homeowner mower?
    I'm guessing you live in the south with very sandy soil as well. This will wear the sails(and the rest of the blade) very quickly.

You definitely need to stop hitting things though.

13Razorbackfan and Cam15 like this.
  4. OP
    OP
    Firefighter6070

Southeast GA....the coastal plain...nothing but sand. I got most ant hills down now. How do yall deal with ant beds? I mow everything at 2.5". I am mowing areas that are not really level. Just a small field and around areas of the farm that a rotary mower doesnt do good in.

They didnt have aftermarket blades out yet when I bought it a couple months ago. It is new on the market.

They are thin. This is a top end residential mower. It has a thick fabricated metal deck, Kawasaki 730 engine, and the serviceable hydro drive transmissions.

Yeah, I need to be more careful. Most of it is small limbs that I dont see in time

5. That Guy Gary

That Guy Gary LawnSite Gold Member

When you mow in sandy areas you are sandblasting the blades all day.

Tree limbs aren't causing that wear. They put knicks and chips on the cutting edge, they don't wear holes through the blade and eat up the sail.

You'll need to experiment a bit, but there are other guys on the forum that can give advice. Low lift blades are something I hear often.

The blades aren't special but they succeeded in giving you a handicap when replacing them. They just did the jerk thing and made it difficult to fit easily available commodity items.

I see they have a mulching kit, I'd try the mulching blades without the kit.

Cam15, Ridin' Green and kemco like this.
  6. OP
    OP
    Firefighter6070

I think this deck is so heavy too so it really has no give. I saw some mowers use chain to lift it up and down. I wonder if I can do that to give it some play?

There is an adjustment bolt on the front of the mower but I think it's for the front?

7. kemco

kemco LawnSite Silver Member

Maybe I missed this but how long i.e. hours or weeks were these blades run. How many yards u using these on a week as well? We sharpen blades weekly and they or at least the most used really need to be done 2x a week IMO. I'll get about 3 to 4 weeks out of a set then replace time. So roughly a set a month per machine. That varies a little but it's close.

Cam15, Ridin' Green and Doc8406 like this.
  8. OP
    OP
    Firefighter6070

There is a total of 46 hours, I think, on our hour meter.

We just mow our farm which the area may total 2-4 acres if that. Sometimes we mow once a week, sometimes maybe 2-3 times a week.

I never sharpened them until yesterday on the last old one I had. I replaced the other worn out two with two new blades.

Cam15 likes this.
  9. Skeeterman

Skeeterman LawnSite Member

Go to express mower parts for good replacement blades.

10. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

Give me your oem blade part number and I'll see what I can find for your deck, if anything. The sandy soil conditions are what is making those blades go so fast, plus the fact that they are very thin to start with. (never mind, I see that as of now, the oem blades are all there is, and they have too much lift for your area, plus are spendy to buy)

Your deck is an 11 gauge deck, which, while being an HO mower is more than adequate, it is well below the 10 and 7 gauge decks on commercial mowers, so keep an eye on it for wear through as it can happen fast, especially with those oem high lift blades.

That has the FR engine in it according to CC's own site, so keep an eye on the air filter if the conditions are that dusty.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2019
    That Guy Gary likes this.