1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

??MOWER DECKS

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by northeast, Mar 18, 2000.

1. northeast

northeast LawnSite Member
    from maine

would a 52&quot;mower deck on a mid mount ztr be to large for residential use?? wondering how it would follow terain,what about scalping the lawn ,could this be a problem?over small mounds etc.<br> the mower I am thinking on is the new j-deere m-655, thanks for any help .

2. tazz

tazz LawnSite Member
    from georgia

52 inch works well on small lots i use a 52inch lazer and it does a grat job<br>

3. TPC

TPC LawnSite Member
    from florida

I have a 40&quot; gravley ztr,had a 52&quot; grasshopper,and have a 60&quot; dixie chopper..<br>I dont remember any scalping with the grasshopper,but it was a liitle to long for some of my smaller lawns...the 40&quot; is great ,,and the 60&quot; hasnt scapled any lawns so far,its set up pretty good so I dont think there will be any problems,and I can get it any where I want for the most part,,<br>I tested a exmark lazer ztr when I was in the market for a day and the deck belt came off 2 times on one lawn(think there was something wrong with it)..The deck was a bit to stiff for me but i know theres a lot of people on this forum that have a love them..I'd say that the 52&quot; wouldnt be a problem depending on the lawns you have of course,,<br> Tim

4. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

I use a 61' ZTMax and 52&quot; Grasshopper in residential lawns everyday. Some as small as 3,000 sq ft. How small are your lawns? <br>

5. accuratelawn

accuratelawn LawnSite Senior Member

I use a 60&quot; Exmark on residential all day.<br>No problems

6. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

I use a 72&quot; on 95% of my residentials! It works fine, the 52 should be OK. <p>Homer

7. lbmd1

lbmd1 LawnSite Senior Member

Hey northeast, <br> what part of Maine are you from? I lived in Portland for 5 years and our family has a summer home up in Chamberlain past Damariscota. Hey, if you closer to southern NH, there's a dealer in North Hampton thats tax free and has great prices on Toro Z master's here for around $6800 for a 62&quot; deck which cuts great on residentials.<p>Mike

8. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

I use a exmark lazer 60&quot; never scalps. If I had known it would do this good I would have bought the 72&quot;. I think about that alot and it makes me ill :)

9. DTM65

DTM65 LawnSite Member

I use a 61&quot; deck on a Scag to cut my 2.5 acre residental lawn. No scalping problems.<p>I think another key to point out here is cutting height. I cut at either 3&quot; or 3.5&quot; and am cutting a fescue blend.<p>----------<br>D. Tom<br>