Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I have a problem....I'll start at the beginning. About 1½ months the wires got torn from the clutch and we took it apart to see what was up. It wasn't fixable. Torn wires and the clutch was really worn. So
Kitchen appliance Gas Automotive wheel system Auto part Metal
Cloud Automotive lighting Automotive tire Bumper Automotive exterior

there begin the search for a clutch. After doing some research I kept coming across people saying xtream clutches were the best (is this right?). So I bought one. Took some time to get in but once it did i put it on. I mowed 2 yards then when I was almost done w yard 3 there was a LOUD banging. I disengaged the pto and it still kept going. I turned to mower off and push it to the front where I towed it back w another mower. So I took it off and it came off in 2 pieces. The top half and the bottom part (the pulley). It broke all 3 of the metal rivets that hold the pulley to the clutch. I called xtream and after talking they sent a new one. The voltage was not right going to the clutch so we started to diagnose it. It came to be a bad regulator and a bad pto switch. We replaced both. Then I put the new clutch back on. I cut 5 yards and it was fine. Well about 2 passes from being done with yard number 6 it did the banging again. It makes the banging when the engine is running even if the pto is off. I got it back to the house and went back and finished the yard. After I came back and took it off again. It broke 1 out of 3 of the rivets but it's done. So sorry for the long story. What keeps making this happen? Any other brand clutches I could try? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks. The first one is the one broken and the second is it not broken....

·
Registered
9,072 Posts
Never heard of such a thing.
What brand mower and engine is this ?
There should be a retainer of some type that holds the clutch frame from rotating. Could that be loose? Allowing the whole clutch to spin then it catches and breaks.

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
So I have a problem....

Yea... Either the anti-rotation bar fell off when you had your 1st problem or the stop welded to the undercarrage/engine deck is missing or you are not putting the clutch on correctly....

Take it to your dealer and have them replace the clutch.........

·
Registered
2013 GMC Sierra 1500 WT 4.3L V6
179 Posts
Yup, forgot to secure the retainer / anti-rotator.
In this picture the bracket F is bolted onto the clutch to keep it from spinning and is held in place by E

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Automotive lighting Automotive design

In the future it would help if you posted the make, model and serial number of the machine.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Never heard of such a thing.
What brand mower and engine is this ?
There should be a retainer of some type that holds the clutch frame from rotating. Could that be loose? Allowing the whole clutch to spin then it catches and breaks.
Simplicity landlord.Briggs 16hp vanguard. And yes the anti rotation device. It's installed the correct way

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yup, forgot to secure the retainer / anti-rotator.
In this picture the bracket F is bolted onto the clutch to keep it from spinning and is held in place by E

View attachment 527299

In the future it would help if you posted the make, model and serial number of the machine.
So they way they have mine set up is there's a piece of metal that hangs down next to the crankshaft and the clutch has 3 points that point out. So you line it up in-between 2 of em and line the wires up and that piece holds it in. Also sorry. It's a simplicity landlord w the 16hp briggs vanguard. I'll see if I can get the serial tomorrow

·
Registered
2013 GMC Sierra 1500 WT 4.3L V6
179 Posts
So they way they have mine set up is there's a piece of metal that hangs down next to the crankshaft and the clutch has 3 points that point out. So you line it up in-between 2 of em and line the wires up and that piece holds it in. Also sorry. It's a simplicity landlord w the 16hp briggs vanguard. I'll see if I can get the serial tomorrow
Is this picture an accurate representation of what we're looking at?
White Black Human body Organism Font

If so looking at where that red arrow points, it states "Hold hex washer (Ref. No. 21) and torque to 45-50 ft.lbs."
Sorry to have to ask but is that being done?

·
Registered
9,072 Posts
How many clutch wires would make it past 5 seconds of clutch engagement if the anti rotating device is misssing/not secured
Have you or anyone checked if the clutch to engine shaft fitment is right? (Bearings oversized according to shaft size?)
Below is his opening remarks.

So I have a problem....I'll start at the beginning. About 1½ months the wires got torn from the clutch and we took it apart to see what was up. It wasn't fixable. Torn wires and the clutch was really worn.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Clutch #1 wires torn out.
Clutch #2 lasted 5 years
From the pics of clutch #2, it looks like damage from the blades striking something.
Extreme clutches pretty good but not without problems.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Is this picture an accurate representation of what we're looking at?
View attachment 527306

If so looking at where that red arrow points, it states "Hold hex washer (Ref. No. 21) and torque to 45-50 ft.lbs."
Sorry to have to ask but is that being done?
Um yes that's it. And yes torqued to 50 ft lbs

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
How many clutch wires would make it past 5 seconds of clutch engagement if the anti rotating device is misssing/not secured
Have you or anyone checked if the clutch to engine shaft fitment is right? (Bearings oversized according to shaft size?)
It's exact to spec. I called xtream (after the first) and gave them all the info and they got the same clutch for it

1 - 20 of 37 Posts