• Online Events For Landscapers!
    With GIE+EXPO cancelled, virtual education and product launches are filling up the fall. Check out dates for Caterpillar, Exmark, NALP, and more. Click here to learn more.

mower dilemma

Bamafire1

LawnSite Member
Hey guys,

I need some advice. I am on my second year as a solo act of mowing mainly residentials of varying sizes of up to 1/2 acres. I now have a 1995 model 36" exmark metro gear driven walk behind. I bought it used last year because I was just starting out. This year I am looking to upgrade to increase productivity and reduce time besides the fact that walking all day every day gets very tiresome.

I am considering the happy medium of a 48" deck. My question is this, Should I go for a ZTR or a walk-behing with a sulky? Is there a certain yard size criteria that would require the use of a ztr? Being mostly residential accounts would the benefits of a ztr outweigh those of the walk-behind w/ sulky? I'd like to keep costs down but I know that time is money, which is why I am considering the ztr. I will keep the small walk-behind for the yards with small back gate.

Sorry for the lengthy post.

Thanks in advance.

Bamafire1

sgoalie23

LawnSite Member
how many accounts? are the hilly? personally if they are small residential i would go with a exmark lazer HP. get a 52" i would say, not to big not to small. but only you know what will work on these accounts. best of luck!