1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about enhanced efficiency fertilizers with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum .

Dismiss Notice

mower for 3 acres

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by koolrider28, Jul 18, 2014.

1. koolrider28

koolrider28 LawnSite Member

i have 3 acres to mow(personal property). the land is kinda rough near the back of the property. but it is fairly smooth in the front. the last 3 years i put 220 hrs on a 50" cub cadet(big box special). i am looking for a mower that will last a very long time. i am a aircraft engine mechanic so i know my way around tools.
    what are some of the minimum level of transmission, engine sizes and deck thickness to consider?

2. Brules

Brules LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Oklahoma

Minimum zt3100 type drives. 3400 and 5400 are even heavier duty.

In Little Rock - there is a good gravely dealer up in Jacksonville. Good shop....the proturn series are built like tanks. A LOT of the commercial guys in Little Rock run Gravely.

3. koolrider28

I looked at gravely in Jacksonville. Near the air base. I liked the zthd but was concerned about it not lasting a long time. It looks well built but so does other mowers. Just looked at a bid dog and was impressed by it. Didn't know it was made by the same company as hustler
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. koolrider28

Hey does anyone else have any feedback for me. Looking to purchase soon.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. southerntide

southerntide LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Alabama

What is your budget range or target price?

ericg likes this.
  6. koolrider28

i wanted to stay at the 6k price range but now I am considering the 8k price range since i demod the big dog x1060 and loved it.

7. southerntide

Male, from Alabama

If you going to spend 8grand on something you need to add a better mower to demo than that, Deere 900 series 7 Iron Deck is the best cut out there, Gravely Pro Turns 100 series XF2 decks, I have never even heard of those mowers ever, from recent activity looks like Scag TT have a crap load of wheel motor and hydro issues

ericg likes this.
  8. whiffyspark

whiffyspark LawnSite Fanatic

Big dog is made by hustler. Step up from a gravely 100 series
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. southerntide

Male, from Alabama

Yeah I wouldn't put 8grand on one of those then but that's just me :)

10. koolrider28

JD is above 8k.
    Posted via Mobile Device