1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Mower for tall person

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by scubaron, Apr 14, 2007.

1. scubaron

scubaron LawnSite Member

I am 6'7" (2m) and looking to replace my (European) lawnmower with a front drive gas-powered mulching mower.

After visiting 6 stores and trying the Toro, Honda, Lawn Boy, Poulan, Husqvarna, Yard Man, Craftman, Cub Cadet and probably a few other brands I find that all mowers are about 4" too low for me to be comfortable.

Does anyone know of any tall-person lawnmowers or ways to extend or raise the handlebars?

2. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

Try looking at some commercial zero turns. I think you will find one that fits you. Too bad the big and tall man store doesn't carry mowers!

3. MowerMedic77

MowerMedic77 LawnSite Bronze Member

Is it imperative that you are sitting? Maybe a commercial hydro walk behind mower and stand on sulky would work better. I'm 6'3 so I can kind of relate, like Khouse stated the commercial riders will be a more comfortable ride, but that comfort will not come without a much larger price than a residential rider.

4. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

5. scubaron

scubaron LawnSite Member

MowerMedic,
    I am looking for a walk-behind mower, not a sitting mower.

The MBS system looks interesting, but I don't think it will work on a self-propelled mower as the controls are usually on the handlebar.
    Scubaron

6. Bill Kapaun

Bill Kapaun LawnSite Senior Member

I know my older Honda Masters has some height adjustment on the handle mounting brackets. I had the mower about 10 years before I noticed that part in the owners manual!:)
    I can't speak for any other brands or even any other Hondas.

Why front drive?

7. scubaron

scubaron LawnSite Member

I have a lot of "obstacles" in my lawn and was told that front wheel drive is much easier to manouvre.

8. Bill Kapaun

Bill Kapaun LawnSite Senior Member

It's easier to maneuver, but "typically", the FD's tend to be low end mowers with short lived transmissions.