mower needed

wrx8211

LawnSite Member
I am in the market for a mower. I have found a Hydro 2001 JD HD75 for $1200, it apparently has high hours on it and wanted to know if it would be worth the money?

Or should I go after a new red hawk 48" belt drive?

Thanks

DavidsonLandscaping

LawnSite Senior Member
How high are the hours? Check if the motor has been rebuilt or swapped. Assuming this is something that is being sold by a company, check how often they used it and how often it was serviced. If there trucks look like crap more than likely the mower is also. You want a good deal not a money pit.
Posted via Mobile Device

IS500Z

LawnSite Member
Well maybe neither. I am not a fan of used equipment unless you know the seller and can document its maintenance and repairs. Anything with high hours on it is probably near its lifetime. The Red Hawk is a Chinese-made mower; would not be my first chance. What is your budget and what brands do the dealers around you have for sale?

OP
W

wrx8211

LawnSite Member
Its being sold by a John deere dealer, So I am not really sure who the previous owner was. I also asked the dealer how many hours are exactly on it and they said that the walk behind doesn't have a meter so they are not sure. My budget is about 1500-2000, want a walk behind with a 48 inch mowing deck or larger.

Capemay Eagle

LawnSite Bronze Member
You could probably find an Exmark TT around that kind of money. Keep watching CL and becareful if you do find something! Go over it well and check all the usual stuff. Most Commercial grade engines can see a lifespan of 2K>4K. I would stay away from the junk and look for more of the bigger names like Scag, Exmark or Toro.

OP
W

wrx8211

LawnSite Member
Does any one know the quality of a John Deere walk behind? I guess my biggest issue is if the hydro pump goes halfway through the season. I saw a picture of the machine and it looks to be in good condition.