Mower on trailer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Db966, Apr 17, 2019.

1. Db966

Db966 LawnSite Member

Is it bad to leave your mower in gear on the trailer? If so how bad and how long does it take to start to damage your transmission? I have a swzt 36 walk behind and it keeps moving, was wondering how bad it was to leave it in gear.

2. Mowing monkey.

Mowing monkey. LawnSite Senior Member

Maybe you should do a better job tying it down.

3. Koehn's Lawn Service

Koehn's Lawn Service LawnSite Senior Member

My dealer I bought 32 scag from said do not transport it in gear it will damage transmission I'm just going to strap it down good and tight wirh a good quality watched strap

Walker56 and Cam15 like this.
  4. Jmcculler

Jmcculler LawnSite Member

Umm, if its moving around it's called an "unsecured load" and is illegal for transport in all 50 states.

AlohaMowing, DXN1EL, KUMA01 and 4 others like this.
  5. JLSLLC

JLSLLC LawnSite Fanatic

I keep mine in neutral, 2x4 cut offs behind the wheels, and usually a chain with j hooks

Walker56 and Doc8406 like this.
  6. flybynite

flybynite LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes it can damage the transmission. Strap it down so it can't bounce around.

Doc8406 likes this.
  7. rippinryno

rippinryno LawnSite Bronze Member

Won't hurt a bit to keep it in gear if you chose. I always left mine in gear when it was transported, but i also strapped it down. Bouncing around the yard mowing while in gear is no different that it moving a little on a trailer. just my 2 cents.

13Razorbackfan and Dawson like this.
  8. JLSLLC

JLSLLC LawnSite Fanatic

Dealer strongly suggested to keep mine In neutral and use the parking brake. No way I’ll leave it in gear to smack around

The impact of the mower smashing into the trailer floor makes a lot more impact than a lawn with cushion

Bontchimuz and Walker56 like this.
  9. rippinryno

rippinryno LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah, i understand how it might not settle well, but if you think about, when the machine is running and with a belt drive, the gears do the same exact thing and even more so with power applied or when you let off and what not. It's whatever helps a guy sleep at night, but a little forward and back on a trailer isn't as much pressure and what goes to those gears when you're actually using them. IF it actually had a clutch that would be a different story, but with the belt drive there's no clutch.

10. JLSLLC

JLSLLC LawnSite Fanatic

I know I’ve moved onto j hooks and chain because I’m tired of the rope breaking over time. The 2x4 just keeps its position

hort101, DXN1EL and Walker56 like this.