Mower Options-Thinking of Downsizing Business/Mower

landscaper22

LawnSite Silver Member
I usually don't look for mower advice. I was torn last time I got one between Exmark and Scag. My Scag dealer went out of business, so the easy answer was to go back with Exmark. I have been using them throughout my entire mowing career. I think I have had 7 units if I counted correctly. My current one is a 2018 Radius X 52". I love the mower, but was thinking of upgrading to a new one.

My large commercial account is the main reason I wanted a zero turn rider all this time. I did have a 60" Lazer Z at one time and a 48" lazer z at the same time. Used the 60 on larger accounts and the 48 in the smaller yards. After making some business changes etc, I am down to one 52" now. I think I am about to lose my big account, and I really will no longer need or at least dont have to have a rider and don't really even need a 52" at that point. If I kept that account I was going to go with a new Radius X 52 again, if not, I am looking to down size the mower, maybe even to a stand on.

1) Those that have gone to a stand-on, do you regret it, or like it better than ZTR?

2) IMO Exmark is about to price themselves out of the game for me. None are cheap, but every time I buy a new exmark, I cringe at the prices. If I went with a stand-on I don't really think Exmark has a lot of options. Seems their top of the line stand ons are same price as ZTRs. I don't really like the ones with the deck you have to raise and lower with the pins. What other brands should I look really hard at? (Scag isn't really an option now as the nearest dealer is too far away) I have a Deere dealer near, but they don't have the best reputation as far as being helpful.

3) Bad Boy keeps coming up here and there, but I don't know many that use them commercially. Mostly, I see those with a large property etc buying them. What are your thoughts on them? I have a dealer near me.

If I lose my large account, which I should know for sure in a week or 2, I will end up being solo again by the end of summer, and I won't be putting a ton of hours on a mower. My health isn't that great, so I figured I would just drop a few more accounts, and downsize to about 20 accounts per week, varying between 1/4 acre to about an acre. I want to find another career, but who knows if that will be a year away, 2 years away, or more. Even if I find another line of work, I may keep 8-10 yards on the side. I know I am rambling, but I just wanted some that have tried various brands, stand-ons and ZTRz, etc to weigh in. I don't need a 10 grand mower any longer, but I don't want something that has a lot of issues either. Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

BESTLAWNCARE

LawnSite Member
Used all different mowers. Now use 60 turf tracer and 36 turf tracer . Easy to work on cheap to run. Reset blade height with 1/4 spacers reset blade speed now crabgrass mows so easy no clumping.

OP
L

landscaper22

LawnSite Silver Member
Used all different mowers. Now use 60 turf tracer and 36 turf tracer . Easy to work on cheap to run. Reset blade height with 1/4 spacers reset blade speed now crabgrass mows so easy no clumping.
Thanks for the response. If I keep my large account though, I am not sure if that's the best option. It will be 5 plus hours of solid mowing at one account each week in summer. If I don't keep it, that may be a good option for me. You use a sulky? It's hard to go wrong with Exmark. I appreciate the input from someone that has used different mowers. I love my ZTR but it is beating me up at the large account. It is some rough terrain.

I finally broke down and messaged my contact at the big account. He said I was keeping the account. Blessing or curse??? Not sure. At least it will be good winter income for another year. Not 100% sure I am keeping it though, as I have some questions for them. If I don't like their answer, I am gonna say see ya. lol

Top Forums