1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Mower Productivity Advice Needed

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GrassRoots Lawn Care, May 30, 2000.

1. GrassRoots Lawn Care

GrassRoots Lawn Care Guest

I currently own a 32&quot; Encore for most accounts and a 21&quot; Toro for smaller jobs. I am looking to purchase a new frontline mower. We have $2700 budgeted. The three mowers I'm considering are a 48&quot; belt drive Encore (14hp Kawasaki) $2600, Scag belt drive 48&quot; (17hp Kawasaki)for $2900 or a Scag 36&quot; belt drive (14hp Kawasai) for $2440. <p>We have mostly residential accounts and could only use the 48&quot; on 40% of them. Will the 48&quot; increase my productivity significantly? Or should I go for a 36&quot; for a little less? Is the 25% larger cutting path that much more productive vs. a 36&quot; mower's manuavability and increased access through gates? Or am I being just a little too anal retentive? :) All replies will be appreciated. Thanks.<p>----------<br>Mike Reynolds,<br>GrassRoots Lawn Care, Florida

2. columbiaplower

columbiaplower LawnSite Senior Member

get a exmark metro 48in with a 16hp(or somthing) because you can use the 32 for all the small jobs. how many lawns do u mow

3. Jim White

Jim White LawnSite Member

Buy Large and stay in charge. The best thing I ever did was go from a 48&quot; walk behind to a 61&quot; zero turn rider. I lowered my time spent at my present accounts and picked up enough new ones to pay the machine and increase my take home $$$$$$$. Always put the largest machine on an account that you can.<br><p>----------<br>Jim White<br>

4. columbiaplower

i got an idea buy a 48in rider!

5. bdemir

bdemir LawnSite Senior Member

I disagree with largest machine as possible on a lawn. One because it scalps the hell out of everything being that you are using a 36&quot; and your lawns are not very big. <br> and the other is you just cant make it look good when you only have three stripes because your mower is too wide. <br>The extra 10&quot; is great but if you want to make the job look good use the smallest possible without sacrificing time or productivity. i would go with a 48&quot; because it is a great univeral size that will work for all jobs big or small. It all depends on the size of your jobs.I cut many small jobs and my60&quot; tears up the burms the ditches and the hills all because of the width. If you have nice small lawns dont put a 60&quot; or a 72&quot; you will be sorry later but if you have a good mix of big commercial work then its not a bad idea to try a 52&quot; rider or even a 60&quot;. Try out a 48&quot;,52&quot; and see first and then you can know for sure. Good luck.<br><p><font size="1">Edited by: bdemir

6. Jim White

Jim White LawnSite Member

bdmir, you missed my point. I wasn't implying that everyone should buy a 60&quot;+ machine. What I said is you should put the largest machine on a property that it will handle. If GRASSROOTS accounts will only handle a 36&quot;or 48 becuause of size limitations, then he should get the largest one that works best. <p>----------<br>Jim White<br>

7. GrassRoots Lawn Care

A rider would be great to sit on but where I live (Central Fla) the ground gets to wet and soggy in the summers to handle that kind of weight. Also, I stated my budget of $2900, not too many riders I can pick up for that cash. <p>----------<br>Mike Reynolds,<br>GrassRoots Lawn Care, Florida

8. GrassRoots Lawn Care

ColumbiaPower, why do you suggest an Exmark, locally they are priced about or sometimes less than Scag's. $2400 for a belt drive 36&quot;. What has been your experience with Exmark. It doesn't look as well built as the Scags, but I've heard they give a nice cut.<p>----------<br>Mike Reynolds,<br>GrassRoots Lawn Care, Florida

9. Nilsson Associates

Nilsson Associates LawnSite Member

Jim White ... <br>buy large and stay in charge<br>sales lost to smaller mower<br>labor costs lost to a smaller mower<br>labor costs higher than machine costs hour<p>A-1<br>

10. columbiaplower

i run all exmark. allways have always will. I like them because thier cut quality is great. And they are as well built as a scag and they have more options. Save some money get a exmark<br>-nick <br><p><font size="1">Edited by: columbiaplower