Mower recommendation, and grass help

OP
E

ECreps

LawnSite Member
Looks nice! Here are a few questions you could have ask.

Did you buy a brand new? Was ever used commercially? Over a hundred hours a year seems like a lot for a personal yard do you have a huge property mowing? What maintenance has been done on it? Oil change interval? Hydro fluid changes? Other things that may have broken and been replaced? Other things that may have been replace due to wear such as tires etc.

Other than that it just a matter of checking it out and seeing if everything operates properly and if the engine sounds good.

I am guessing you will probably put 50 hours on to it a season. At that rate it lasts you 20 years. I look forward to your impressions after having driven it, I suspect you will find the ride even more comfortable then Is 700.

Having a super cushy mower you might not mind your uneven lawn so much.

Had a phone conversation with the guy today. It was used commercially, no service records, needs a spindle replaced. Making me kind of skeptical, I am still planning to go check it out tonight, it's only about 45 minutes away. Not necessarily deal breakers, but not what I was hoping to ehar either.

Crazy 4 grass

LawnSite Fanatic
Yea that isn't what we wanted to hear.

Contact your ferris dealer, see if you brought it to them if they will do an inspection on it for you, before you buy it. I would think it would be worth $100 or whatever they charge, to have it checked out.

Youngandfree

LawnSite Fanatic
No one mentioned the seeding rate. If this was new grading and seeding, 15lbs/15,000 is 3lb/1000, which is less than the usual 4+lb/1000 recommended foe overseeding. Usually new lawn seeding runs closer to 10lb/1000sq ft. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

OP
E

ECreps

LawnSite Member
No one mentioned the seeding rate. If this was new grading and seeding, 15lbs/15,000 is 3lb/1000, which is less than the usual 4+lb/1000 recommended foe overseeding. Usually new lawn seeding runs closer to 10lb/1000sq ft. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm planning to overseed this fall. Do you think 4lbs/1000ft is acceptable even if the grass isn't in great shape as is? There is quite a bit of grass, but also small bare spots everywhere.

I wanted to update everyone. I picked up a 2007 IS3100Z tonight for $3750. It has a new engine with 3 hours, and the hydros were also serviced 3 hours ago. Previous owner got an engine oil leak and didn't check the oil level and ran it out of oil while mowing. It just has a 27HP commercial briggs on it; but I think that will serve me fine considering what I paid for it.

kemco

LawnSite Fanatic
Spindle needing replacement it was probably run hard. I would bet you money the other ones vibrate like a champ when engaged.

Top Forums