Mower Recommendation for 22 acres

NewLandOwners

LawnSite Member
Hello. My wife and I are in the process of purchasing 22 acres of land in East Feliciana Parish, Louisiana. It is all cleared. We are planning to get it bush hogged and we would like to maintain it regularly with a zero turn, not allowing it to get to bush hogging height. The local John Deere dealer recommended a Z915E Ztrak with a 54 inch deck. The Kubota dealer recommended a ZD1211 with a 72 inch deck. These are two different beasts and the Kubota would be $100 a month more with an extra year of payments. That is not a "problem", but we appreciate saving where we can. The land has very few tress and two ponds. It forms a large hill, but doesn't ever seem to get super steep. What would you all recommend between these two or is something in the middle more appropriate? Aiming for the quickest cut possible. Will have to cut weekly during our summers. Might tow a cart around occasionally.

Last edited:

HEMTT

LawnSite Bronze Member
For 22 acres you are going to want a 72" with some speed. My first thought would be a Hustler HyperDrive 72" with flex forks added. The JD makes one of the better decks out there but a 54 is too darn small for that amount of grass.

I have both a 72" HyperDrive and a new JD Z997R Diesel 72", the hydraulics on the Hustler can't be beat but the JD does a better cut. I mow about 11 acres of my own cool season grasses, so your results may vary.

Bitches_Brew

LawnSite Gold Member
Hello. My wife and I are in the process of purchasing 22 acres of land in East Feliciana Parish, Louisiana. It is all cleared. We are planning to get it bush hogged and we would like to maintain it regularly with a zero turn, not allowing it to get to bush hogging height. The local John Deere dealer recommended a Z915E Ztrak with a 54 inch deck. The Kubota dealer recommended a ZD1211 with a 72 inch deck. These are two different beasts and the Kubota would be $100 a month more with an extra year of payments. That is not a "problem", but we appreciate saving where we can. The land has very few tress and two ponds. It forms a large hill, but doesn't ever seem to get super steep. What would you all recommend between these two or is something in the middle more appropriate? Aiming for the quickest cut possible. Will have to cut weekly during our summers. Might tow a cart around occasionally.

Congrats on the new property! Thumbs Up

I mow 15 plus acres on the farm, but it is out of 80+ total.

We have a vineyard, multiple crop fields, 2 ponds and a lake.

IOW, I would look at leasing some to farmers/making money off of it instead of it costing you loads of money to maintain.Twenty acres a week of mowing is expensive and time consuming.

OTOH, if you are retired and have nothing better to do, buy a Gravely 600 or the big deere diesel and a compact tractor with a bush hog just in case. :nod:

Last edited:

jonniesmooth

LawnSite Senior Member
Even with a 72" deck you are still looking at about 5 hours of mowing.
I'd look for something like this.

And something like this, but used. In good condition

OP
N

NewLandOwners

LawnSite Member
I don't mind a half day of mowing on the weekends if it'll give me that park look. I was just concerned at the big difference between the two mowers and was wondering if one or the other was under or overestimating what equipment I would need. Seems like you all are leaning towards the 72 inch deck. Is there a big difference between a diesel and a gas? People seem to think diesel is well worth the money being more durable and fuel efficient.

HEMTT

LawnSite Bronze Member
The JD dealer was trying to sell you WAY too little mower IMAO.

The Diesels are very torquey, almost nothing bogs them down. The 35 hp Kawasaki on my Hustler doesn't bog down either unless I run into chest high grass too fast. The Diesels are expensive to purchase and a lot noisier! I get about 2 GPH on my gas Hustler, probably about 1.25 GPH with the JD with 37 hp Diesel. The price difference between a gasoline Kawasaki and 37 Yanmar is about $8-10K more if I'm not mistaken.

jonniesmooth

LawnSite Senior Member
My only comparison for gas and diesel is garden tractors a 425 and X 720 JD
That would use 2+ gph
And my JD 1025r tractor that uses 1 GPH, but had 4x4 that the other 2 didn't, and running the same snow blower.

Valk

LawnSite Platinum Member
Let me guess: your JD dealer had the mower he recommended in stock on premises...as opposed to ordering what you 'need' in this case?
'Dealers' are notorious for this practice, be it mowers or cars/trucks or what-have-you.

Top Forums