1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Mower runs low on Rpm's and then speeds up

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by VnDrWLawnCare, Sep 10, 2002.

1. VnDrWLawnCare

VnDrWLawnCare LawnSite Member

Hello, I have a 17hp Kaw with 380 hours on it. I started it up and it seemed to only be running on 1 cylinder. So i put new plugs in it and that did not seem to help. So i thought that i would try to run it as is. With the blades engaged and full throtle, it will only turn 2600 Rpm's. After a few minutes though it will suddenly go up to 3500 Rpm's without doing anything. I thought that it could be a bad spark plug wire, however i am not sure. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know. Thanks for you assistance.:(

2. Floridalandcare

Floridalandcare LawnSite Senior Member
    from Tampa

Could be a bad coil .

3. thfireman

thfireman LawnSite Senior Member

Florida has it right, replace the coil.:(

4. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

dont know if this might be a factor but
    my lazers seat switch and engageblade switch bothe just cut it to one cylinder. i wasnt always thatway. but its possible u have a safety switch causin this.. in other wds faulty.

5. dfor

dfor LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like a bad coil. My 17 hp Kawasaki has gone through a few coils in about 2.5 years. I pull the spark plug wire and if it still runs the same, well then that is the bad coil. I asked my dealer why I was going through so many coils (every 6 -9 months or so. He called a service technician at Kawasaki. They said to do the same, except to replace the other coil. Makes absolutely no sense to me, but next time I'll give it a try and see what happens.

6. jrodgers

jrodgers LawnSite Member

My 15's and 17's have had bad coils with relativly low hours.

7. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

That is the EXACT same thing my 18hp Kohler was doing. Dealer replaced the coils and it runs like new again. I do recall before I took it in for repair I could pull one of the plug wires off while it was acting up and there was no change.

8. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

good to know about this coil thing. never had that problem,but ill recognise it when i see it now.

9. D&V

D&V LawnSite Member

How much does this usually cost to fix? I am having the same problem on my 19 horse Kaw.

10. jrodgers

jrodgers LawnSite Member

Mine was under warantee so I dont know. If I were to guess I would say somewhere in the $40 to $50 range