Mower Scraping trailer

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Michael Ray, Aug 15, 2017.

1. Michael Ray

Michael Ray LawnSite Member

Even with the decks lifted all the way up I scrape the bottom of the deck on the trailer about 95% of the time coming off the trailer on to the ramp. Any ideas? Would just getting a shorter drop hitch for the truck improve the angle enough to prevent this?

Bumpmaster likes this.
  2. dieselss

dieselss LawnSite Bronze Member

Raise up the gate. Put some blocks under the edge for now.

JagT20N, hort101 and Michael Ray like this.
  3. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

Crank down the front jack on the trailer. This will raise the front, lower the rear, and thus reduce the angle of the ramps. Only a small height increase should be needed. You do not need to unhook the trailer, but be sure and crank that front jack up before driving away.

hort101 likes this.
  4. GrassManKzoo

GrassManKzoo LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Kalamazoo, MI

New truck and trailer

5. PLLandscape

PLLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member

Is this an open trailer? Can you weld/bolt on an extension to the gate making it longer thus reducing the angle.

After seeing what that would cost maybe invest in a new trailer where the deck starts to ramp down before the gate. Thus lowering the gate height from the ground.

6. RDALawns

RDALawns LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Texas

I back down and load my toros as dose guys working for me at a angel. This helps keep the deck from dragging. Keep in mind both of my trailers are 102 out fender trailer. So average of 83 inches inside the rails.

hort101 likes this.
  7. JMK26

JMK26 LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Missouri

Raise the mower deck before taking off the trailer, if it's a walk behind pop a wheelie before coming off.....

Diesel is right too....

Mowingman too, but forgetting to lift the jack is a pretty big risk....but the good thing is you won't get far before kowing you forgot.

Also what I did on a past trailer....I noticed the trailer hinges were set too high....my uncle welds so we cut the hinges off, put on new ones at the correct height and that lip was gone.

hort101 likes this.
  8. Michael Ray

Michael Ray LawnSite Member

Thanks everybody. I've got plenty of wood so blocks under the gate sounds like the easiest solution for now. We'll give that a shot then go from there. The new truck, new trailer idea was pretty good too but don't think the ole lady will go for that.

9. s&slawn

s&slawn LawnSite Member

Flip your hitch. Or get a straight one.

Michael Ray likes this.
  10. Ready to Mow

Ready to Mow LawnSite Silver Member

I've found the tires just spin out if you put blocks under the ramp. atleast when it's wet.