Lawn Care Forum banner

Mower Scraping trailer

8K views 17 replies 13 participants last post by  Ready to Mow 
#1 ·
Even with the decks lifted all the way up I scrape the bottom of the deck on the trailer about 95% of the time coming off the trailer on to the ramp. Any ideas? Would just getting a shorter drop hitch for the truck improve the angle enough to prevent this?

Reactions: Bumpmaster
#5 ·
Is this an open trailer? Can you weld/bolt on an extension to the gate making it longer thus reducing the angle.

After seeing what that would cost maybe invest in a new trailer where the deck starts to ramp down before the gate. Thus lowering the gate height from the ground.

#7 ·
Raise the mower deck before taking off the trailer, if it's a walk behind pop a wheelie before coming off.....

Diesel is right too....

Mowingman too, but forgetting to lift the jack is a pretty big risk....but the good thing is you won't get far before kowing you forgot.

Also what I did on a past trailer....I noticed the trailer hinges were set too high....my uncle welds so we cut the hinges off, put on new ones at the correct height and that lip was gone.

Reactions: hort101
#8 ·
Thanks everybody. I've got plenty of wood so blocks under the gate sounds like the easiest solution for now. We'll give that a shot then go from there. The new truck, new trailer idea was pretty good too but don't think the ole lady will go for that.

#15 ·
Nope! Tell everybody that's me though. Just a little fatter and older.

#14 · (Edited)
Flip your hitch. Or get a straight one.
This.....a 2 or 3 inch increase in the hitch height could make all the difference and is cheap , easy, and doesnt involve any time wasting extra steps.

You can also lower the deck an inch or two by going to smaller wheels...but thats an expensive option and depends on what you currently have. I speced my trailer with 4 inch drop axles and 14 inch wheels specificly to avoid problems like that.

Reactions: Michael Ray
#17 ·
My stupid Walker deck drags unless I load it at an angle. You can raise the deck on my other non-stupid mowers as you said you did.
Driving on at an angle if you have the space is cheap and easy. Raising the hitch on the trailer is also easy. Moving hinges or lengthening the gate would not be too expensive. I have to pay attention to where I park so the back of the trailer is not elevated unless I have 75 lb of air in the bags for the gooseneck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.