Mower service

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tacoma200, Sep 10, 2006.

  1. tacoma200

    tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 5,426

    I would like some recommendations on what type of grease gun fittings work best on ZTR's. My mini grease gun with the solid metal extenion isn't working out well in hard to get to area's. So I'm going to get a larger better one. Should I get the flexible hose and are some ends better than others at staying attached when greasing. Yes it's probably a stupid question but I have two already that I'm not pleased with so I would rather get one that works right this time. I'm not ready for an air powered one yet. What about synthetic grease or what is a good all purpose grease that I can pick up at my local Advanced Auto, Napa, etc.
  2. JFizzle

    JFizzle LawnSite Member
    Messages: 95

    I wasn't pleased with my mini either. I went to lowes and got a standard size gun with the flexible hose. I can reach anything now. The fitting that came with it works very well too.
  3. metro36

    metro36 LawnSite Silver Member
    Messages: 2,417

    A standard size grease gun with a flex hose is best. If you have a tractor supply store near buy I would look there. They have complete packages with gun, hose, metal extension. They have either pistol grip or lever pump grease guns. There prices are pretty good too.:)
  4. Green-Pro

    Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,420

    I like 45's (as in degrees) where the drive shaft couples (u joints). I like 90's on casters and deck lift bearings. Straight everywhere else. I replaced the solid tube on my mini gun with a flexible tube as well as bought larger gun with flexible tube.
  5. lawnman_scott

    lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 7,547

    a standard size with a flex hose is best. Also the lever is better than the pistol grip if its hard to get the grease to go into the fitting, you will have better leverage.
  6. Mickhippy

    Mickhippy LawnSite Platinum Member
    Messages: 4,274

    I like he pistol grip with flex hose. I have a John Deere "brand" and its pretty good.

Share This Page