Mower start-up after about a month

THIESSENS TLC

LawnSite Bronze Member
Just fired up the mower...its been about a month or so since I've started it. I did put sta-bil in the tank. When I started it, it poured thick smoke, but only for about 5 seconds. Any reason why? Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks! :drinkup:

FoghornLeghorn

LawnSite Senior Member
That's normal for the first exhaust to be smoke. My diesel does that. I think it's because as it sits, a little of the fuel flows from the lines into the cylinder chamber and makes the first ignition a richer fuel which smokes due to incomplete combustion.
Posted via Mobile Device

Dr.NewEarth

LawnSite Bronze Member
My questions are: how long did you run the engine with stabilizer before you stored it?
Did you just put in new gas recently, and if so was it a higher octane than normal? That may cause a problem.

Dark smoke usually means that some-thing didn't burn off before.

White smoke tells me that some-one tipped the machine and there is oil burning off.

This usually clears itself up.

Purchase a repair manual for four cycle engines. It will help in the future.

Perhaps it was too cold to run the machine? Run it again...and if it continues go to a mower Doctor.

Last edited:
OP
THIESSENS TLC

THIESSENS TLC

LawnSite Bronze Member
Ran it for maybe 5-10mins when I first stored it, just put in the regular 87 octane. Same gas from when I first stored it. It was white smoke, but nobody tipped it, I'm the only operator of this machine.
Posted via Mobile Device

OP
THIESSENS TLC

THIESSENS TLC

LawnSite Bronze Member
Ya, its never smoked before until today. So maybe I'll start it once a week for 5-10mins.
Posted via Mobile Device

dgfitz

LawnSite Member
It is common for an engine to put out a little white smoke after
being stored, and the cause is usually condensation embedded in
the metal around the valve chambers and cylinder chambers, not
often is it oil or water in the fuel line or tanks as others have said.

OP
THIESSENS TLC

THIESSENS TLC

LawnSite Bronze Member
Its stored in a dry garage, so I can't see how condensation would get in.
Posted via Mobile Device