Mower Tire Pressure Question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by Steve, Jul 24, 2019.

1. Steve

Steve LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from NE FL

When I had the original tires there was a sticker saying 12psi max, I always filled it to 12. I can't remember what the number was on the tire itself but I'm assuming 12.

A few months ago I had new tires put on, cut was great. As time went on my cut quality was degrading. I'm thinking blades, deck level, whatever, anything but the tires. Tire pressure visually seemed OK. A friend on Facebook mentioned tires and quality of cut so for whatever reason I looked on sidewall of tire and it says max psi 25. Went to the gas station that has the digital psi reading and I was around 10 (2 less than what rim and manual says). I filled it up to 25 and my cut was great again.

I know on cars and trucks you should put what the sticker on the door says, but what about mowers, do you fill to the max? Obviously what happened here the front of my deck was higher then the back due to the low psi

2. Cam15

Cam15 LawnSite Silver Member

My walk behind says 25 I think also so I fill it up to 23 just for a slightly smoother ride and call it good. Never had any issue with it.

3. That Guy Gary

That Guy Gary LawnSite Silver Member

The manual for your mower should have the recommended pressure in it if there's no sticker. It's the same as cars, the weight of the load is what matters.

EricC, StanWilhite and hort101 like this.
  4. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

NO, do NOT go by the side wall marking. That is the maximum pressure that tire can handle at full loaded weigh which is also on the side wall. The manu has no idea what weight their tire wil be carrying so they list the max weight capability and the max pressure for that weight.

Go by what your ops manual says to run, which is around 12 psi for most riders.

5. Turf Tracer

Turf Tracer LawnSite Fanatic

Riding on 20psi must be like riding foam filled. Bounce bounce

StanWilhite and hort101 like this.
  6. OP
    OP
    Steve

Steve LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from NE FL

This is a walk behind. So this means I have deflate to 12 and adjust my decks again.

7. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

12 or even 10 for a WB. They simply aren't that heavy.

Cam15 and JLSLLC like this.
  8. JLSLLC

JLSLLC LawnSite Fanatic

My bobcat walk has 14psi max somewhere on it(frame , gas tank).. the dirt might have covered it up, but it’s there

Cam15 likes this.
  9. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

yeah never fill up to the max pressure on any tire. it's always a bad idea. max pressure on car and truck tires is 60psi but you should run them at 32-35psi which is around half of the max pressure the tire can hold.

..so if max tire pressure is 25psi usually you should run them around 12psi. the owner's manual will tell you.

10. hal

hal LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Georgia

I always ran mine on the upper limit, around 18-20. It always grabbed better on hills. This is on a rider, wb around 15ish+/-.

Cam15 likes this.