1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Mower tires

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Green Grass, May 24, 2006.

1. Green Grass

Green Grass LawnSite Member
    from MN

Does anybody know of a good place that is cheep where i can get tires on the rim for my mowers. I am looking to have spare tires around for my mowers.

2. JHLC

JHLC LawnSite Member

I don't know about spare tires, that would be expensive. I carry an air tank and a plug kit with me. I can put a plug in and fill it back up a lot faster than I could change the tire. It even works for trailer tires. Just a suggestion.

3. I've found some at a dealer that were taken off of new mowers pretty cheap.
    Other than that the cheapest place I've found is Cedar Rapids Tire.
    Why are you wanting spares? Are you having a lot of flats? I used to before I started using sealer in everything. Now when I change a worn out tire I'm amazed at all the crap poking into the inside of the tire.

Dave

4. Green Grass

Green Grass LawnSite Member
    from MN

I guess i am looking more to replace worn tires and keep one worn for a spare.

5. JamesGarfield

JamesGarfield LawnSite Member

Green Grass asked:

>Does anybody know of a good place that is cheep where i can get tires on the rim for my mowers. I am looking to have spare tires around for my mowers.<

I cruised Ebay and bought a complete set of spare tires and wheels for the mower. Used, and even with shipping, it was cheaper than new. They don't take up much space in the trailer. With a small sissors jack, a tire can be swapped in 5 minutes.

I invested in inner tubes for all the wheels, and loaded them up with about a half gallon of Slime. Some folks don't like that stuff, but it works great for me. I can run over thorns and nails and (groan) pieces of hay bailing wire that one of my ranch clients throws into his grass all the time. If it gets a puncture, it just goes ppppsssssffffttpppt, and seals itself. Cool.

But what I still get flatted from at times, is something gouging a hole in the sidewall. Some of the ranch areas I mow are pretty rough, and I'm not sure if it's maybe an old stump or a piece of debris... but it'll put an inch long gash through sidewall and the tube, then it's Flat City Blues that even Slime can't fix. I'm wondering if I should get the foam filling for some of these tires.

Anyway, my 2c worth.

6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah the air tank is nice but I find the weight and volume a bit of a pita, still...

I carry fix-a-flat because that's halfway decent air but also like yourself plugs and inner tube repair kit (for the castors and barrow) and a 12v plug-in compressor (thou most are cheapo POS).

As for tires, check some aftermarket like:
    http://j-thomas.com/main_pages/OLcatalog_06.html#Tires