1. Is Landscaping An “Essential Business” In Your Region?
    Read the timely article from Turf addressing this question. Click here to learn more.

COVID-19 Safety Procedures For Landscapers
    As you are working out in the field, maximize safety for you, your crews, and customers. Click here to learn more.

Dismiss Notice

Mowers at Landscapersupply.com

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Youngster, Jul 25, 2000.

1. turfquip

turfquip LawnSite Senior Member

<p>How can you personally recommend a machine you've never owned? And Exmark Sucks?<p>You better ease off the ganga for a while Chris until your head clears.

2. Greenkeepers

Greenkeepers LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE Ohio

CHRIS-<p>Don't mean to beat a dead horse here or sound like an ass. Although you must not participate/read a lot here. As said MANY times in the past, every person is going to think that their machine is the best or else they wouldn't have bought it (unless it was a really good deal). So please keep your ego out of this and keep to the facts/details :)<p>Just my opinion!<p>Mike<br>Greenkeepers

3. ChrisYanik

ChrisYanik LawnSite Member
    from OHIO

I have had a chance to use black rock mowers and from what I've seen, the quality of cut is just as good as any other walk-behind mower. As far as handling goes...every mower is somewhat different.....much like every car handles differently than another car. However, once you get a feel for how the mower handles, than using it day in and day out shouldn't be any problem.<p>Also, many of the major componets on these mowers,&quot;Spindles, brake shoes, pullies, belts and so on are cast and assembled the same way for every mower. Therefore there's no reason why these mowers should be considered JUNK. If that were the case, than every single mower out there should be considered JUNK.<p>How many people in this disscusion have ever owned and used one of these machines???<p>Most machines are well engineered.<br>All machines are well built.<p>And don't try telling me that the welds on these mowers crack and break. That will happen on any machine that is beaten and abused over time.<p>Just because a machine is low priced doesn't mean it's a piece of junk. Consider that the cost to built the machine may be less for BlackRock industries because they're a smaller company with less overhead than a company such as SCAG or EXMARK.<p>People have also been trashing Lesco mowers based on the fact that they're low cost machines. In reality though, Lesco mowers are just well built as any other mower and will run for years and years if properly maintained.

4. ChrisYanik

ChrisYanik LawnSite Member
    from OHIO

Comparing one mower to another is like comparing a Ford to a Chevy....there both good automobiles.<p>Buying a Scag is like buying a Lexus car.<p>Your paying more for the word LEXUS to be stamped on the car much like your paying more for the word SCAG to be stamped on your mower.

5. turfguy

turfguy LawnSite Member

WE HAD A 48 HYDRO UNIT......UHHHGH HOSES LEAKED,VIBRATION,POOR TRACKING, ONE BAD CASTER...NEVER AGAIN...I THINK ITS SAFE TO ADVISE AGAINST THESE LOW END BUGET UNITS IF YOU WANT TO STAY PROFITABLE!....MORE TROUBLE IN THE FIRST YEAR THAN WE EVER HAD WITH OUR THREE SCAG HYDRO UNITS. I WOULD RATHER HAVE A SHARP STICK IN THE EYE THAN ANOTHER BLACKROCK.....OH YEA...ONCE THE CHECK CLEARED THE DEALER DIDNT WANT TO HEAR IT...&quot;HEY YOU SAVED 1100 BUCKS&quot;<br>R

6. Lanelle

Lanelle LawnSite Bronze Member

I was talking to an equipment dealer yesterday who put this whole topic into perspective I thought. He said that one company will do a really good job for several years with certain classes of mowers or machines in general, and then will make some changes and may have a few 'off' years with their products while another company will make improvements. So, its a cyclical situation. That why he sells several brands so he doesn't have to push a bad mower on to established customers.

7. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Chris-You're not just paying for the name. Okay, maybe you are but you get alot more than that. An excellent warranty on most, built better, better features etc, and so on. I don't just like 1 brand, I like 3 brands, Toro, Exmark, and Scag. Take Toro for example. They have been making mowers for over 50 years.How long has Black Rock been making them? Experience is the key to success and look where Toro is today, kickin' some major butt in grounds care. My point, stick with name brands.

8. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Chris Yanik wrote:<p>{Also, many of the major componets on these mowers,&quot;Spindles, brake shoes, pullies, belts and so on are cast and assembled the same way for every mower}<p>They may be manufactured the same way but that doesn't mean they have the same quality. As an example take 2 oil filters, a Airmax (Landscaper Supply sells these) and a Amsoil (they come standard on Dixie Choppers). They look the same on the outside but if you think for one moment that the Airmax filter will protect your engine like the Amsoil filter does then you're crazy. Filtering specs for the Airmax are probably above 25 micron while the Amsoil filter is 1 micron. Also the Amsoil filter will hold considerably more dirt and contaminates before bypassing than the Airmax. The parts on The Landscaper mowers may look the same as the parts on Exmarks, Bobcats and Scags but that doesn't make them the same. You get what you pay for, plain and simple. <p>

9. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

This is why some of the equipment is sold at &quot;bargain&quot; prices and some is not. And just for your info Chris?, Lesco doesn't build their mowers. And please, let's not try to put other mowers down- especially machines like Uncle Dane's (Skag) and Exmark. When I read that it took me back to memories of a kid saying. &quot;Oh yeah, well my dad can beat UP your dad!&quot; :)

10. lawnmark

lawnmark LawnSite Member
    from orlando

i own a 48 ztr rider ,byers gold with an 18 kohler, all in all it's a pretty good machine. Bought it at Sam's of all places for about 3900 bucks in 1996. It is the same mower that landscapers supply sells in their catalogue now. With the addition of the double blades the thing is striping like never before and mulches everything in sight! Rides a little rough, holds a hill ok(not a bunch of hills in orlando anyway), Machine has about 1500 hours on it with no major problems. Probably will keep as a backup when a new machine is purchased. Don't like the idea of having a machine with no dealer to service it even though John Deere dealer works on it when neccesary. Sure3 seems like a good deal when you look at the price but in the end most will probably be happier with a major brand like chopper, walker, or exmark. Kind of funny to mention the first two together but each has its place, and heard alot of good things about exmarks.