1. Is Landscaping An “Essential Business” In Your Region?
    Read the March 26 article from Turf addressing this question. Click here to learn more.

COVID-19 Safety Procedures For Landscapers
    As you are working out in the field, maximize safety for you, your crews, and customers. Click here to learn more.

Dismiss Notice

Mowers at Landscapersupply.com

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Youngster, Jul 25, 2000.

1. scagman

scagman LawnSite Senior Member

Scag = Lexus The lanscaper = Kia

Need I say more!!

2. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

Or Could It Be

Scag=Viper(or your choice) Lsc=Yugo:confused:

3. scagman

scagman LawnSite Senior Member

I just thought of a great idea if the landscaper and scag are practically the same machines in quality. Being already painted the same color and costing alot less than a scag/lexus all us scag boys will just buy these off the net sand off "THE LANDSCAPER" and paint scag. Then when the new fake scag breaks down we will sit on our a$$e$ until the parts come in then take it to the local shop and wait some more, damm Im smart!!!

4. eslawns

eslawns LawnSite Senior Member

I haven't used (or seen) any Black Rock mowers other than mine (48" gear 14hp Kawi) but I've used mine for 3 years. I have had 2 problems with it in that time:

1. The engine (not BR's fault) recoil starting lugs broke. This is a common problem with this series of Kawi, and the parts were in stock at my Lesco dealer.

2. There is a problem with the OPC wiring. The OPC handles need to be held down to start the mower. I never had it fixed, I just used a wire tie to secure it. If I need to kill the engine, there is a key switch.

However, this minor problem is enough to get me to not buy another mower from them. Is it a bad machine? No, it's an outstanding machine, with an excellent cut. But... ALL machines break, and when one of mine does, I want the dealer to fix it right now. IMO, this mower has earned its money, but until there is a local dealer, I'll stick with Exmark or Husky.

I have never used a Scag mower, so I can't say anything about them. IMO, they are overpriced, which would be OK, if you got something for the money. But there are a lot of machines out there that will do the same job for a lot less money. Around here the guys who run Scags love the walk behinds and despise the Z's. I can't think of a single person I know who is happy with a Scag rider. It doesn't mean they're junk, it means these people were probably expecting something more for their extra $3000 and when they didn't get it, they felt ripped off.

5. thfireman

thfireman LawnSite Senior Member

I drove a friends Husky Rider the other day. I dont own a rider but I have used a few in the last 2 years and the Husky to me drives the best. I seem to be able to handle it better and smoother than any other I have driven. Does anyone else have an opinion on this. I might buy a rider next year and I need feed back.

On the other hand I have had a few rider owners say they are over rated and would rather just use the WB with jungle wheels when possible. Feedback Please!!

Thanks
    Roger:blob2:

6. PAPS

PAPS LawnSite Senior Member

about 6 years ago i bought a Byer Gold 48'' belt from Landscape supply... got 1 season out of it and it was trash... left it at the curb.

7. lawnkid

lawnkid LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Chris Yanik, where in Ohio are you from? What is your company name. Do you mow lawns in the Euclid area.

8. landscaper1

landscaper1 LawnSite Member
    from newyork

I have read through many threads concerning the Landscapers Supply mowers, the good, bad and the ugly. I would like to share with you a view from the inside of that company, for I started it seventeen years ago. Our goal from the beginning was to provide the professional landscaper a choice between buying full retail, like any homeowner, and wholesale, as do contractors in other industries. We did this at first by creating a catalog which we sent out to as many landscape companies as we could find. We sourced the majority of our products from American companies to guarantee as best we were able a quality product. In most cases we succeeded. When we were made aware of problems, we changed suppliers, or better defined the grade of product we expected. When it came to equipment, we found the big boys coming out against us with all their guns smoking. It was one thing cutting into their margins on parts and accessories, it was altogether another matter challenging them on equipment. The result was that we were forced to go to the smaller less successful manufacturers. Although these guys tried their very best to produce a quality product, often times they fell short of the quality you guys deserve and expect. Over the years between 1996 through 2000, we sweated every mower, working on one aspect of its operation or another listening to each and every customer who had a comment or a complaint. We made a host of improvements. Most of the time those improvements fixed the problems, sometimes they created different problems. Finally with our production of 2001 we seemed to get it all right. We began hearing genuine compliments, some of which are written here in these various threads, like those from eslawns, grateful11, Mike Nelson, and John Dimartino, to name a few. For the past two years we have run a less than half a percent in warranty repairs, as against the industry average of approximately two and a half percent. It would be bad form to speak of those improvements here, I simply wanted to share with you the difficult process. The intent of our company has been from the start to offer the best value for the money in the industry. We remain committed to that policy.
    To improve our service response to our customers, in 2002 we implemented a new service program. If a customer purchases a piece of equipment from us and runs into a service problem within the warranty period, we will contact an independent repair center in their area, and pay that repair center 125% of the industry's suggested repair rate for that particular repair. And as an incentive to repair our produsts quickly, we will pay that repair center immediately upon them faxing us a signed bill that the customer was satisfied. We will pay this using a company credit card. In an industry that rarely pays its warranty bills in less than 90-120 days, we have found this is a welcomed innovation. Of course there are repair centers who will not participate, but we will locate one within the customers area who will. I have always been open to constructive suggestions, for there is no other way to improve, but I know that we have earnestly tried to serve this industry with all of our strengths and even our weaknesses. I tried to make this response to your comments without being self serving, please accept my apologies if I may have gone too far. We wish you all, in these difficult times, the greatest of success.

9. thfireman

thfireman LawnSite Senior Member

:)

BRAVO!!! Man you should write speaches for the White House! That was a well written response and sounds like you folks are honest in your efforts. Send Me a cataloge and I will try you out!

E-Mail me for my address!

:angel:

10. marley

marley LawnSite Member

I USED A 48 INCH GEAR DRIVE(LANDSCAPERS SUPPLY) MODEL BEFORE I STARTED MY OWN BUSINESS FOR 2 SEASON AND IT WAS A TANK. THE THING WAS ****ING TOUGH!! I DON'T KNOW ABOUT THIER HYDROS BUT THE GEAR DRIVES ARE GOOD UNITS.