Mowing a 14 acre soccer complex

superintendent

LawnSite Senior Member
Curious on what yall would mow a 14 acre soccer complex. Might have 30 mins of weedeating that's it. All bermuda grass. The guy that's mows it now is mowing it at 4 inches. I will be mowing it at 1 1/2 in. I thought about $475 dollars and they want it mowed twice a week. Thanks

KrayzKajun

LawnSite Fanatic
Wht type/size mowers will you be using? Why will you be cutting so short? Is the guy mowing it now twice a week?
Posted via Mobile Device

Jimslawncareservice

LawnSite Platinum Member
I don't know much about that grass, but I would think it would look scalped. Twice a week ? There wouldn't be much to mow off then, right? I hope they have a good fert guy, because you think with all that action it would.need to be kept well fed.
Posted via Mobile Device

OP
S

superintendent

LawnSite Senior Member
I'm am spraying and fertilizing it now. I know about bermuda more than most lawn care people in my area due to they deal with fescue. I have my degree in Turf Management and was a golf course superintendent for 10 yrs till this April I was turning down to much money and decided to leave the golf course. I told them bermuda does better short not tall and the guy mowing it now doesn't believe it. I don't know if you mow bermuda alot but with a rotary mower cutting it low is rough on the mower. For the ball to roll better and for the health of the grass it need to be shorter. I have a 60 in ZD 331 and a 60in 34 hp Exmark.

douglee25

LawnSite Senior Member
A couple things...

1. That seems awful short at 1.5". I would think you should be in the 3.5" - 4" or so.

2. $475 seems cheap to me. At your rate, that's around $33/acre. I would price it per hour including your costs and your labor rate, then price it at a per acre rate to compare. I would think you should be in the $60-$75 per acre rate honestly.

Doug

lawnkingforever

LawnSite Bronze Member
$475 maybe on the lower end but it is in the ballpark for what that would go for around here.
Posted via Mobile Device

torotorotoro

LawnSite Senior Member
I'm am spraying and fertilizing it now. I know about bermuda more than most lawn care people in my area due to they deal with fescue. I have my degree in Turf Management and was a golf course superintendent for 10 yrs till this April I was turning down to much money and decided to leave the golf course. I told them bermuda does better short not tall and the guy mowing it now doesn't believe it. I don't know if you mow bermuda alot but with a rotary mower cutting it low is rough on the mower. For the ball to roll better and for the health of the grass it need to be shorter. I have a 60 in ZD 331 and a 60in 34 hp Exmark.
the book may say to mow it at that height but in the real world with a big deck mower i dont think you will be keeping that customer long mowing at that height.you must not know what you are doing.dont you think the other guy was mowing at that height for a reason.it is not a golf corse,it will have bumps and dips.charge $25 good luck

OP
S

superintendent

LawnSite Senior Member
The field is laser leveled. Believe me I know what I'm talking about when it comes to bermuda grass. I mow mine and my mom's at 1 in with my rotary mowers. They are completely leveled and not one scalp. Bermuda goes sidewides not up. The shorter the quicker it will spread

torotorotoro

LawnSite Senior Member
The field is laser leveled. Believe me I know what I'm talking about when it comes to bermuda grass. I mow mine and my mom's at 1 in with my rotary mowers. They are completely leveled and not one scalp. Bermuda goes sidewides not up. The shorter the quicker it will spread
will u use a rotary mower for the whole thing .do you mow any thing besides your moms lawn.

OP
S

superintendent

LawnSite Senior Member
I do. I mainly do fert and squirts. Irrigations. I maintain several football and soccer fields. The only mowing I do are for some major commercial business and some youth athletic fields. To do a high school football or soccer field must be done with a reel mower. Right now this soccer field can't afford one.