mowing diagonally vs parallel to property lines

redmax fan

LawnSite Silver Member
big controversey amongst our crews . one side says mowing parallel to property lines / the street is what should be done like 85% of the time as its alot faster and adds up to as clean of a cut as possible while not causing eventual ruts . this side has also stated diagonal cutting wears tires faster

other side says diagonally cutting over half the time adds up to a better cut / less rutting / not taking much more time / healthier better looking lawn . and that even if it takes a bit more time its well worth it and neccesary for a good looking healthy lawn

so wondering opinions on the matter

Ditta&Sons

LawnSite Bronze Member
i routinely cut diagonally, purely for aesthetics, bu not always, backyards dont lend themselves to diagonal cutting as much as front yards due to obstacles such as house, fences, gardens, decks etc. I like to do the front on an angle for the nice looks but a backyard i do with as few turns as possible.

KS_Grasscutter

LawnSite Gold Member
We mow a different pattern each week. For example all lawns this week are angles NW to SE. Next week will be opposite, following week N to S, final week E to W. Then start over. There are a few yards we just mow "long ways" but that's because they're underpriced and we need in and out as quick as possible.
Posted via Mobile Device

32vld

LawnSite Gold Member
No diagonals.

Essentially parallel. Will let property lines, buildings, drives, beds, objects, etc control pattern. Vary direction every week. Start clock wise on even days, counter CW on odd days.

Large enough area will go North South one week. East, West next week.

weeze

LawnSite Fanatic
i mostly go up and down or back and forth and occasionally throw in a diagonal just when i get bored to mix things up. diagonal mowing takes longer but doesn't cause any more wear on the tires. i dunno where they got that from. :laugh:

andersman02

LawnSite Bronze Member
Personally, when I moved i would go 4 different directions rotating each week. It definitely take a little bit longer, on a square yard but not enough to stop doing it. Now that I don't mow I tell the guys to at minimal switch between directions each week and throw in angles every now and then. No worries about rotting for us.

andersman02

LawnSite Bronze Member
Also something to be aware of is mowing angles will create more turf damage overall unless you can turn on pavement. Even with many years experience you'll get more turf damage due to hoe you have to yturn

Top Forums