1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

mowing in the city

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by fitzg2md, Sep 4, 2007.

1. fitzg2md

fitzg2md LawnSite Member

Anyone do a significant amount of mowing in a semi-major city? You know the type...old row houses that have maybe 300 sqft front yards and maybe 400 sqft back ...if any back at all. Obviously a good 21 incher is all you could use, but I imagine you could do one of these yards in a matter of 10 minutes, cut blow edge etc. Maybe even quicker? Anyone do this?

I am considering this, and think I could pickup a good amount of business doing this...wouldnt be a ton, but I could maybe keep a small crew busy for a couple days. There are probably a few trhousand of these packed into an area about 20 city blocks long...so the route would be tight.

Anyone see some obvious pitfalls that maybe Im missing? I dont know exactly what i would charge, but it would have to be under what my minimum is for normal suburb type yards. Example: Assuming I could easily knock out 5 of these in a hour charging 15 per yard would gross me $75 per hour with only small equipment to maintain (for that crew). This is assuming a 1 man crew. 2 people could theoretically do more than 5 an hour, but I think for such small properties the valuse of more employees would drop off quickly.

May take a season or two to get enough yards to make this worthwhile, but I think there may be some ok cash in it? What do you guys think? Anyone do this or have done this in the past? -Mike

2. Mr.Mow-It-All

Mr.Mow-It-All LawnSite Senior Member

Just-mowit.

3. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

And like just-mowit, you would have to think about the parking issues, ie. no trailers, just toss the mower(s) in the back of a truck and go. Which would be fine for the lot sizes. Bagging, to me, would be the best route, less mess. May think about a exmark 26", though they are too heavy for 1 guy to lift into a truck...

4. bigtex

bigtex LawnSite Member
    from ma

i cut in the city. chevy one ton dump-14ft trailor - $30.00 per house - ten cuts a day - 8-2pm - three days a week - one day for shrubs and misc - easy $1200 cash - solo

5. fitzg2md

fitzg2md LawnSite Member

I guess every city is different. Bagging does seem to be the best option...only would need to empty one time...when Im done mowing. Dump into the bed of the truck (maybe a dump insert with small sides?). Trailer wouldnt be too difficult in these parts...parking usually isnt an issue...maybe custome build a flatbed that has a storage area in rear near the gate, and a divided section in the front for clippings? I really dont think I could get 30 for these lawns...so small I could even do it with a trimmer in under 15 minutes! More like 7! Maybe I will offer a few people a free mow so I can do a "test route"?

6. spazfam

spazfam LawnSite Member

we cut in the city 4 days a week 8am-2pm never on fridays or long holiday weekends occasional sat ams until noon. 3/4 ton with a 16ft trailer. The draw backs are traffic, tight streets and sometimes parking issues. We usually have 1 day a week that we leave the trailer and get the properties that we have parking issues.