1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, in the Franchising forum.

Dismiss Notice

Mowing in the dark

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by grayghost_32, May 2, 2003.

1. grayghost_32

grayghost_32 LawnSite Member

Do any of you commercial guys mow at night?I've been doing it on some of the bigger stuff.

2. bastalker

bastalker LawnSite Senior Member

Well NO!!! I have a life!!!!!!

3. Doogiegh

Doogiegh LawnSite Senior Member

I think I'm hooking up some headlights though to my Woods ZTR so that I can cut my own property and IF it gets dark, turn on the
    lights to finish things up real quick..

I don't cut any customers in the dark though.

Gary

4. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

Sometimes I mow as it's getting dark just to finish something up. But I try to be done before dark normally.

5. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I have lights on all my ZTR's. In the summer when it is hot, we often start mowing at around 4:00 AM so we can beat the heat and finish early.
    Back when I was a part timer, I had to do most of my mowing in the evening after I finished my day job. I sometimes worked till 10:00 or 11:00 at night. Of course, all this night work is at industrial or commercial properties. We do not do residential mowing at those odd hours.:D

6. mowngrow

mowngrow LawnSite Senior Member

my walker haslights but we try real hard to be done before i have to cut them on

7. grayghost_32

grayghost_32 LawnSite Member

I started mowing at night last year to catch up after rain.I like it so much i put ATV lights on my Sentar this year.I mow until the dew gets to heavy.

8. TotalCareSolutions

TotalCareSolutions LawnSite Senior Member

We do our "highline" residential customers from 11:00 PM - 3:00 AM. We believe it sets us apart from the competition, plus theres no traffic!:D

9. rvsuper

rvsuper Senior Member

TotalCare,

Your kidding, right? The earliest I mow now is 8:30 in the morning on the greens everyday.

10. TaussigLawnCare

TaussigLawnCare LawnSite Member

I try not to mow residential earlier then 8am and commercial 6 am. I find the commercial propeties alot easier when the parking lots are empty.