Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its gonna be real wet this week in the northeast...not that it hasnt been already...how u guys gonna handle it. I don't like cuttin in the rain but seems we won't have a choice.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
i'm in louisiana and we have had lots of rain, i would rather mow in the rain than get behind.

·
Banned
787 Posts
we push in the rain if we have to ...no riding. we do not bag on the riders.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Right now this morning I'm sitting here trying to figure out how to plan for this week...I dont mind cutting in the run but my concern is that the ground is saturated and even when very careful its too easy to scuff/rut the turf....what a year we've had....but its still better than the drought of last year....

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
again ill suggest that u put standard lift blades on and if u can get a good cut ,,,cut your rpm a little. this can help keep your deck from clogging up. jmo

·
Registered
4,739 Posts
My eXmark does a fabulous job in tall, wet grass with little to no deck packing if discharging (using single regular lift blades).
When I first brought it home it had rained a good bit and my yard had a full weeks' growth on it, had been raining alot and was tall. Went out with this beast and it cut it great at full speed, no clumps or mess!!! What a great machine!

·
Registered
13,488 Posts
We won't cut in the rain for the simple fact, that inevitably, it makes a mess. Somewhere - sometime. Getting caught in it is one thin, but we aren't going out in to it. Most importantly, the MAIN reason we miss don't mow in these conditions, and this week is a prime example, is that it is not just calling for showers and rain. It is severe T-storms. There is no way that we are getting out there wjen there is that much electricity in the air, out in open places OR under trees when it's is VERY possible to be struck by lightening from 10 miles away. It can and DOES happen - all the time. We're not talking about a shock or a sprained ankle here, folks...
To be out there with emminent Thunderstorms is just plain nonsense. Be careful, and keep an eye to the sky!

·
Registered
4,739 Posts
Of course I don't mow in T-storms, but there have been days I went and mowed even though it was raining good because there was no other time to do it and the lawns needed cut badly, plus that I needed the money :( :)

·
Registered
9,476 Posts
We just do what we can...the rain is a necessary evil. Mowing in T-storms? Nope. Go slower on the turf and make sure you're using sharp blades. And, get out the rain slicker...all my guys are issued one at the beginning of the year.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
I don't mow in the rain. If I get caught in it, I'll deal with it. But I won't go out in it. Around here, the ground gets real soggy and I have to worry about standing water and ruts as well as making a mess with the grass. And making a mess with clumped grass and clippings and debris, not to mention the misery of getting sopping wet is not worth it for me. If I get too far behind, I get too far behind. That's life and business. I have a pretty good customer base that won't complain too much and understand I don't mow in the rain. And, I schedule 5 out of 7 days a week which gives me 2 days for makeup. Just a benefit of being a solo act; not having to get all the lawns done every week if I can't, and not worrying about employees and meeting payroll if I don't get everything done. Not to mention the quality of the cut when mowing in the rain is never very good, and that is a concern for me.

As Runner said, the problem in Michigan this past weekend and this coming week is the TStorms. I was out today working when the latest batch rolled through. I saw the lightening and I called it quits, even though there was no rain yet. That definitely isn't worth the danger.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
the forecast is for t-storms for the rest of the week here. if it was like today, and the day before, and the day before that, it rains in the morning, then the sun comes out and the humidity is up around 75-80%, then the t-storms start rumbling around 4. then it clears out around dinner.

just squeeze 'em in when you can.

·
Registered
38 Posts
All I can say is you guys sure are lucky to be getting it. We have had no rain for about two weeks in north texas and we are feeling it. The yards are just looking pathetic, I cant even cut some of them because they are just so burnt and have NO growth! With these 100 degree temps during the days and no rain it hurts my cash flow. Some of my customers who usually water pretty well through he summer have cut back due to their financial situation........I guess the next thing to go is me!!!:eek:

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
Originally posted by Whatdefunk
All I can say is you guys sure are lucky to be getting it. We have had no rain for about two weeks in north texas and we are feeling it. The yards are just looking pathetic, I cant even cut some of them because they are just so burnt and have NO growth! With these 100 degree temps during the days and no rain it hurts my cash flow. Some of my customers who usually water pretty well through he summer have cut back due to their financial situation........I guess the next thing to go is me!!!:eek:
Same situation here last year in July and September. I know what you are feeling, believe me. The Lawn Business is an up and down kinda thing, and right now it's up around here with all the rain. It's very unusual for this time of year in Michigan.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Keep your trailer hitch up because the weather "people" have been wrong the last 3 days in a row in my area. I wont even call them Forecasters, because that would be giving them too much credit. Im not saying its an easy thing to do (forecast weather), but when you have two days in the weekend...its 11:30PM Friday night and they say Saturday is going to be light showers and Sunday is going to be even worse. So I get up extra early and try to beat the rain on Saturday (end up mowing in the rain).

What do you know Sunday is bright and Sunny. Cant thank those forecasters enough!!

What other job can you have where you can be wrong 80% of the time and still keep your job???

Anyway, keep your trailer hitched because we are in for some decent days....trust me! Whats the worst that can happen? Maybe I will be wrong??

:D

Jimbo

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.