1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

mowing in the suburbs of Canada

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by martyman, May 5, 2004.

1. martyman

martyman LawnSite Member

Every year I come on this site and think that maybe this will be the last year (7th year) because the area's that I work in are so crowded with cutting companies, but once I get into the routine of cutting and start to enjoy the wet feet and the smell of dog poop on my tires I wouldn't do anything else (would be nice if people picked up the poop). I lost around a dozen homes in the last two years to cheaper guy's in an area that I had 30 homes, but slowly I got new ones (in different areas) like yesterday I stopped to let an old lady cross the street and when she got a across she waved to me and I pulled up and she said "You cut grass?" It pay's not to be sarcastic and I said "Yes! Yes I do" and she gave me her house and her two relatives on her street and then because I was there another neighbour came over and then I had 4 lawns in on day and gave me back some hope after putting 5000 flyers in another nice area and only getting 3 phone calls and only one signed up... but that's business and I hope that next year I can say the same thing, Oh and this year I got to take my first vacation in 8 years with my wife and kids down to florida (disney world) we drove 27 hours taking turns and I was still on contract (my residential customers and it was the end of march so don't freak out!) for snowplowing (the weather was fine here so I took a chance) and it was great!! Every american I got to chat with on the way was really nice and I hope that next year I can save up and do it again...

2. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

We lose a few every year too but then the phone rings and we get a couple more. This year we have decided not to do any advertising and take it a little easier. So far we have lost 3 but gained a couple of much bigger jobs and 4 or 5 once in awhile mowings. We only did a few lawn rollings this year and it looks like the spraying will be more than last year. We live in a rural area so there is very little competition here other than local kids and they can't drive so they only work in each little town. Of course every farmer has a lawn mower but they don't always have time to cut so they call us.

3. Nova

Nova LawnSite Member

With the way Markham is growing, I wouldn't worry about having a shortage of work.

4. cantoo

Either of you guys going to the Richie Brothers auction on May 12 or the Toronto City auction on May 15?

5. Nova

Nova LawnSite Member

Never heard of them, anything good?

6. cantoo

7. jwalker17

jwalker17 LawnSite Member

hey so how is everyone doing so far? plowing i assume... is everyone still working well!