Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
I angle mow, a different direction every time, and I determing the angle by the way the wind is blowing to keep the discharge going away from air cleaners and operator, - I mow a lot of ditches, and sometimes you are spraying the discharge up in the air and it is blowing down your neck, but the rest of the yard does not have to be that way.

So - I do make my first pass somewhere in the yard, but it does not matter if it is the middle or not.

·
Registered
9,487 Posts
I usually start with the shorter passes at the edges and work toward the longer ones in the middle of the lawn. I find I cut straighter that way.

I do have a couple of lawns where if I'm cutting perpendicular to the front of the house, I just line up and head toward the front door on my first pass.

·
Banned
2,999 Posts
Originally posted by The Lawn Boy Pro
How many of you make your first mowing pass as close to the middle of the lawn as possible?
why would you do that?

my first is around the perimeter of the lawn/property.

if I angle cut, after making the perimeter pass,I will make a cut on about a third of the lawn and work toward the 2/3 side.

if I do a parallel cut, I always start at the longest edge.

GEO

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
yeah, I always do the perimeter first. As far as where to go after that, depends on how I am cutting, and on the actual lawn layout. Angle I would usually start in the middle and go corner to corner. Parallel, I would follow a property line or straight fixed structure. Either way, I always do the perimeter first. :cool:

·
Registered
84 Posts
I go around the house/business twice before I start mowing strips. I find it makes me faster. I can't say which one looks better.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Perimeter first. After that, initial cross-cut depends on the size of the property. If it's small I start at the corner. Larger properties I start about 1/4 in just to have a good guide to go by.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
I do the perimeter first. Two passes so I'm not blowing clippings into the driveway or sidewalk. Then my first line will be closest to the house or building so I can use the structure as a reference to make a straight line. It might take a pass or two to straighten the lines from the perimeter passes.

·
Registered
9,487 Posts
Well, I go around the perimeter twice first too, discarging inward and in the same direction, then what I said above.

LawnBoy said "first mowing pass" so for some reason I thought that didn't include going around the permiter.

On large properties, I'll sometimes do the first two passes with the WB mower/sulky...reduces my string trimming considerably.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Two passes around buildings first then two around perimeter. Then I make my passes depending on the contour of the property. We have alot of swales (ditches) that you can only travel one direction. After that it just depends on property. Most of my residentials have canal seawalls so you cannot do anything but straight lines as you only have four or five passes on an incline. Two passes on the sides and then the front yards.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Youre right, I meant the first pass, not including the perimeter. seems like everyone does datt. Feels really odd if you dont do the perimeter first, becasue you always end up with little spots you missed right on the end of a pass, and it distracts you, and bugs you the rest of the time. :D

·
Registered
965 Posts
Eric Elm always made the perimeter passes last..... I do the same. It covers up the k turns you make when diamond cutting, or cross cutting.

You guys oughta be shamed of yerselves.. heh heh heh

Always make 2 passes around the perimeter when I,m done. Never before:D

Waste of time.......

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.