Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ocassionally i mow my personal property with the business equipment. I was wondering if anyone had info from IRS as to what the rules of this are since you deduct equipment and operating cost from your taxable income. I usually knock a little off of my fuel cost deduction. Thanks:confused:

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
I'm my biggest client ..... I pay a yearly maintanence fee of $**5,625.00 per year n do all my other jobs for free !!

Kinda like when I bought my last Lazer dealer charged my $8,400 for a tee shirt n gave me the Exmark for free !!

List it under a "promo" if you feel you must .... or as "training area" or do like most n don't worry about it at all

·
Registered
676 Posts
Has lawn site been infiltrated by the IRS??? Are they taking names?

Why we of course follow every tax code to the best of our ability. And suggest you do the same.

·
Registered
9,476 Posts
Originally posted by Jay9437
Ocassionally i mow my personal property with the business equipment. I was wondering if anyone had info from IRS as to what the rules of this are since you deduct equipment and operating cost from your taxable income. I usually knock a little off of my fuel cost deduction. Thanks:confused:
I really don't think you have to worry about the IRS dragging you out in the middle of the night and throwing you in jail...LOL

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Actually, my crews mow my lawn, so my write off is their salary, and the small % for fuel and other mechanical maintenance.

My benefit is that I don't have to do it!

·
Registered
9,487 Posts
That's why I mow my own lawn with my personal push mower and trim with the ryobi trimmer. Wouldn't want anyone to see me out there with the Lazer and the Shindaiwa.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,039 Posts
I'm still tryin to get the home/office deduction for my garage. I store the equipment there so it's an office, right?

;)

·
Registered
145 Posts
Bishconboblia now can you mow there as much as in the states, if so ill come along too!:D

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Yup... them there mowers need test run after sharpening blades..... wouldn't want to mess up a payin customers lawn.... and ya gotta check 'em out somewhere.....

String trimmers and edgers need test run after each oil change or new string change.... as do the pruners after sharpening, or trimmers after sharpening too.....

Also... ya need a place to train workers, and retraining them, and retraining them, and then testing to make sure they understand what they been trained for......

·
Registered
648 Posts
Originally posted by Jay9437
Don't ask, don't tell!

Really, this is so insignificant they probably wouldn't even care if you do get audited. If an auditor was anal enough to want to deny deductions for costs related to mowing your personal lawn, that would probably be the least of your problems.

·
Registered
135 Posts
.....we test run our mowers after blade replacement or mechanical work.

If your company (corp, LLC) leases your yard space for testing, etc., and pays you a small amount under $600, they don't even have to give you a 1099!

They can also lease it for a "showcase".

You can take the full deduction for gas, oil, etc. PLUS the lease payment.

The lease should be seasonal and state that the company will maintain it up to "industry standards".

That's a good idea!

·
Registered
648 Posts
Originally posted by edrenckh

If your company (corp, LLC) leases your yard space for testing, etc., and pays you a small amount under $600, they don't even have to give you a 1099!

They can also lease it for a "showcase".

You can take the full deduction for gas, oil, etc. PLUS the lease payment.

The lease should be seasonal and state that the company will maintain it up to "industry standards".

That's a good idea!
If you are really honest, whether or not you receive a 1099 for income will not influence whether or not you report the income. It is still income and I am sure that you would recommend paying tax on it!

·
Registered
14,691 Posts
In all reality I think the IRS will be going over mileage records and gas and maintenance receipts long before they worry about whether you are mowing your own lawn or not. In a full blown audit you need to be able to justify the fuel/maintenance that is used in vehicles. Just saying that you used this much gas or that much oil is not acceptable.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Everyone does it and the IRS is not going to be going after you...just for that.

Do you think the.....

-Garage owner doesnt put his own car on the lift.
-The Pizza man doesnt carry some pizza home for the kids.
-The Laudry Mat owner doesnt clean his own sheets for free.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.