Mowing price help

JakeG

LawnSite Member
How long should it take to mow, trim, and blow 1/8 acre which is 5,445 square feet with a Scag Vride 2 32", which is my average square footage in my service area when I soon start my business and what would you start your price at?
Anyone around Madison Wisconsin would be greatly helpful as that's where I'm at, and I'm trying to get my bearings on a minimum price.
I've done my break even with what I want to make, the cost of everything, 15% profit margin, taxes, everything, and came up with $2.34 per minute to cover everything and make a 15% profit.
So now that I have that absolute minimum price in mind, I'm wondering if that's too high or too low.

Thanks.

Freaky Fido

LawnSite Senior Member
Sorry but I think you're out of your freaking mind if you think you're worth $140/hr with a 32 inch mower!!!!

How long a lawn takes has more to do with the detail work than the area. For the record my minimum is $45, but my lot sizes are bigger, generally 1/2 acre or more.

Youngandfree

LawnSite Silver Member
Sorry but I think you're out of your freaking mind if you think you're worth $140/hr with a 32 inch mower!!!!

How long a lawn takes has more to do with the detail work than the area. For the record my minimum is $45, but my lot sizes are bigger, generally 1/2 acre or more.
Eh, it shouldn't take more than 20 minutes for 2 guys to do 5500sq ft. If he has a $45 minimum like you that's getting close.

OP
J

JakeG

LawnSite Member
I'm going with the Scag V-Ride 2 32" so I don't have to push mow in gates. It should increase productivity if I person mows everything, and 1 person trims and blows. Also thought about getting a Scag V-Ride 2 36" as a second mower to be used in conjunction with the 32" on larger lawns, but probably not going to happen the first year. Most in town lawns in the service area are 1/8 acre - 1/4 acre. When I get into the really big lawns out of town and some newer subdivision at the edges of the towns I'm going to service that are 3/4 acre or bigger, I'll get a 48" or bigger Scag.

As for my original question.
I found this https://www.inchcalculator.com/lawn-mowing-calculator/ but I don't think it takes into account trimming and blowing. You enter mower cut width in inches, mowing speed, and acreage and it tells you how long it takes to mow. I don't think it takes into account for obstacles, trimming, or blowing. Anyone use this before? Is it reliable?
It says a Scag V-Ride 2 32" which max speed is 8.5 MPH according to Scag's website which is the number I put in should mow 1/4 acre or 10,890 square feet in 6 minutes. Add in unload, load, trimming, and blowing I'm thinking 10 minutes max for 2 people?
How long do you think it will take a 2nd. person to trim and blow?
If I'm right about the 10 minutes max, and we can agree on that number.
Now add in that I need to hit a minimum of $2.34 a minute to cover everything as long as I have enough customers. 10 minutes x $2.34 per minute = $23.40 or a 1/4 acre that takes 10 minutes. Is that to high, to low?
I've googled mowing prices lawnsite.com and read a lot of threads and replies. The closest person to me that I found who replied was from Chicago and his post was from 2019. His minimum was $30. Others had a $35 or even $40 minimum.

Youngandfree

LawnSite Silver Member
How long do you think it will take a 2nd. person to trim and blow?
If I'm right about the 10 minutes max, and we can agree on that number.
Now add in that I need to hit a minimum of $2.34 a minute to cover everything as long as I have enough customers. 10 minutes x $2.34 per minute = $23.40 or a 1/4 acre that takes 10 minutes. Is that to high, to low?
It all depends on how much crap is in any particular yard. Some people have little. Some have tons of small plants or decorations piled into their 5500sq ft yard. The 32 is perfect IMO. You aren't really losing anything missing those 4".

You need to have a minimum price. And $25 is too low. My minimum is $45.