1. Is Landscaping An “Essential Business” In Your Region?
    Read the timely article from Turf addressing this question. Click here to learn more.

COVID-19 Safety Procedures For Landscapers
    As you are working out in the field, maximize safety for you, your crews, and customers. Click here to learn more.

Dismiss Notice

Mowing pricing

Discussion in 'Bidding, Estimating and Pricing' started by Jake Glessing, Mar 20, 2020.

1. Jake Glessing

Jake Glessing LawnSite Member

Hey everyone,
    I know pricing will vary depending on location, (I also touched base briefly on this in another thread starting your business), I'm near Madison Wisconsin, and will be starting small in 3 little villages of a few thousand people each, and building from there.

I know I want to charge per 1000 sq ft. I know thats a good way of doing it, but I'm having trouble finding that right price to start at.

If your in my region, what do you charge for 1000 sq ft?
    How much do you increase prices from 1000 to 2000 to 3000 and so on.

Cam15 likes this.
  2. falzoneslawncare

falzoneslawncare LawnSite Member

do you plan on measuring every lawn?
    just eyeball it, walk the property and see how much weed eating and edging has to be done, are there a 1000's of obstacles to mow and trim around.

and find a minimum price you will unload your equipment for.
    (my minimum is $40)

its not always the size of the property its how efficient you can get the job done but done well. and that is how you get paid well

my 2 cents anyways.... good luck

hort101 likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    Jake Glessing

Yes, I would measure each lawn for a free quote and try to sell them at the door.
    The reason I want to do it by sq ft of the lawn size is because thats what I learned over the past 4 years at WeedMan. They measure and price everything by the thousands of square feet.

I also just had a thought. What about a flat rate for small in town lots, and another rate for medium sized in town lots like corner lots?

4. Justin Hightower

Justin Hightower LawnSite Member

Wouldn’t charge by square footage. I can mow flat, no obstructions 5k sq ft quicker than I can 2500k sq ft with flower beds, trees etc...

HighClassGrass, hort101 and kemco like this.
  5. hort101

hort101 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from S.E. New England

Was this for apps or mowing?

In my opinion square foot is a bad choice for how much time and work a job really takes

6. Mowing monkey.

Mowing monkey. LawnSite Bronze Member

I don’t really care about the footage. Obstacles to trim around and travel distance is more important.

Guitargain and hort101 like this.
  7. OP
    OP
    Jake Glessing

Mowing, trimming, blowing, and edging at an additional cost.
    All of my customers for the first couple of years will be within 7.5 miles of where I live. So drive time is minimal, and I'm going to try to get some nice tight routes.

Hort, your saying to charge an hourly rate? Justified by how much I think I'm worth?

8. OP
    OP
    Jake Glessing

[QUOTE="falzoneslawncare,
    and find a minimum price you will unload your equipment for.
    (my minimum is $40)[/QUOTE]
    How long does it take you to mow trim and blow residential for $40?

9. Skol

Skol LawnSite Senior Member

Never once considered the square footage of a yard when pricing. Makes little, to no sense in my opinion. I've got some 1 acre lots that take me less time than some of my 1/4 acre lots when trimming, and blowing off concrete areas is factored in.

sehitchman, kemco and hort101 like this.
  10. falzoneslawncare

falzoneslawncare LawnSite Member

extra for trimming, edging and blowing? you kidding right?

Cam15, Guitargain and Joana Williams like this.