1. Is Landscaping An “Essential Business” In Your Region?
    Read the timely article from Turf addressing this question. Click here to learn more.

COVID-19 Safety Procedures For Landscapers
    As you are working out in the field, maximize safety for you, your crews, and customers. Click here to learn more.

Dismiss Notice

Mowing pricing

Discussion in 'Bidding, Estimating and Pricing' started by Jake Glessing, Mar 20, 2020.

1. OP
    OP
    Jake Glessing

Jake Glessing LawnSite Member

No, extra for edging.

hort101 likes this.
  2. Joana Williams

Joana Williams LawnSite Member

What do you mean Trimming, blowing & edging at an additional cost?

3. falzoneslawncare

falzoneslawncare LawnSite Member

no offence man but you really need to re-think your business plan
    customers want a price, not a price list

your price should include mowing, trimming, edging and blowing
    that is a basic cut

Cam15, Guitargain and Jeff@diyokc like this.
  4. hort101

hort101 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from S.E. New England

Im Trying to say like others some 1/4 acre lots have more trimming and tighter areas maybe take actually longer than a big square 1/2 lot for example
    Obstacles
    Stairs

And about 50 other variables all come into play in the real world in my experience

Jeff@diyokc and kemco like this.
  5. OP
    OP
    Jake Glessing

Jake Glessing LawnSite Member

Got it, flat rate is better than by sq ft.

hort101 likes this.
  6. hort101

hort101 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from S.E. New England

Square foot or lot size can be a good starting point but nothing will make up for walking the property and imagine doing the job

Once youve done alot of similar yards maybe not as important but more likely for surprises like a flock of plastic flamingos or a trampoline right in the way:realmad:

Jeff@diyokc and kemco like this.
  7. Skol

Skol LawnSite Senior Member

My advice would be to find out what the "drop the gate" price is in your area (mine is $35), and know what that kind of yard looks like, how long a yard at that price takes you, and go from there with every other bid. I always go look at a yard before giving a price (maybe twice I've given a price after just looking at Google Maps).

hort101 likes this.
  8. shark78

shark78 LawnSite Member

We do price per square foot. But the larger the property the lower that is. We use a map measuring program and our city has online property development maps that show property lines. I save a lot of fuel and time doing it this way. But keep in mind we get maybe 1 or 2 properties a year that either the homeowner lies about condition or there was significant landscaping that was done and is not shown in online maps.

9. IACubman

IACubman LawnSite Member

I agree, I don't price per square foot either, but I do look at every property. Lucky that way because all our properties are within a 10 to 12 mile area. My Min bid is $40, but have a few with backyard swings, trampolines, playhouses to name a few. For these I charge more depending on the amount of extra trimming. Have not had many complaints at all. Have some of you started spring mowing?? I am located in Iowa and doing some yard clean ups, no mowing yet. Depending on what our Governor's office does this week and how the Declaration is worded, may be a few weeks yet.. Any thoughts??

hort101 likes this.
  10. kemco

kemco LawnSite Gold Member

I will quote applications via satellite or aerial pics where I can map out turf sq ft because for the most part it is what it is. But I never bid a mowing job unless boots have been on the ground looking at obstacles, width of fence, etc etc.

hort101 and DLL LLC like this.