• LawnSite Homepage Upgrade

Hello again LawnSite community,

I wanted to post a quick note to let you know that the homepage of LawnSite will experience a major upgrade later this week. We’re always looking for ways to improve our users’ experience on the site, and felt that this upgrade was needed and long overdue..

With this upgrade, you’ll now see the top trending posts as soon as you visit LawnSite, and these will be updated throughout the day. You can also easily access videos and photos. As always, we encourage you to include videos and photos in your own posts to share with your fellow LawnSite users.

Be assured that all of the forums, content and data that you’ve been accustomed to will remain intact, as will all current site features. You’ll also be able to easily access the full list of forums directly from our new homepage.

We’re excited to bring you this change, and look forward to hearing your feedback.

Thanks, LawnSite Team

Mowing pricing

MPM Landcsaping

LawnSite Member
Just curious, how do handle charging a client if you miss a week due to rain? Is it in the contract as a precaution if you miss a mow due to weather?

OP
MPM Landcsaping

MPM Landcsaping

LawnSite Member
We were invoicing for the month but customers were getting angry for a missed mow. We were thinking of just invoicing the end of the month with the number of cuts we did for that month

TPendagast

LawnSite Fanatic
Just curious, how do handle charging a client if you miss a week due to rain? Is it in the contract as a precaution if you miss a mow due to weather?
I think everyones answer will be different. But heres MY answer:
I don't miss a mowing ever.
I havent missed a mowing in over 20 years.

HOW??
I dont jam my schedule so tight I cant make it up in the same week.
I might be mowing on saturday something thats normally thursday, but its a simple policy , everything gets mowed int he week it was scheduled for.

If the client pulls that "we just got mowed on saturday so I dont want to be mowed on thursday"
I dont put up with that
thursday is their scheduled date and they have to be put back on schedule.
Too much push back?
Find someone else to mow, Im not in the business of taking hits for weather.

For further inspiration on how to write contracts to cover the "unforeseen and unpredictable" google "Force majeure clause".... its basically major event in french.

TPendagast

LawnSite Fanatic
We were invoicing for the month but customers were getting angry for a missed mow. We were thinking of just invoicing the end of the month with the number of cuts we did for that month
they DIDNT miss a mow...you had to double cut the following week which is about 2.5 times the work of having been on schedule in order to catch up.

Write your contracts to cover this int he future but for the record, this is exactly WHY you NEVER miss a mow!

landscaper22

LawnSite Silver Member
Well, considering most probably didn't ask you to skip, you are probably not going to get away with charging them more for the overgrown service the next time. You should make every effort to make up the work that same week as stated above. If it's the customer's fault then it's a little different situation. I would have something in the agreement to cover it. But if you lose a day because of bad weather, and don't come within the next day or two, the customer probably will get upset.

That is one of the fun things about this business. You have so many obstacles to work around. You can't take on too many accounts, you have to take into consideration the things like this that will come up and maybe schedule 4.5 days of mowing. Then on a good week you can be back at the shop (or house) after lunch on Friday and do equipment maintenance or enjoy your afternoon. Then on a bad week, you have Friday afternoon and Saturday to catch back up.

Anthony BRL

LawnSite Member
I would just add a credit at the end of the month for the missed mow that they paid for so it will show up as a line item or however you have it for the following month.

Hurryupelectric

LawnSite Bronze Member
HOW??
I dont jam my schedule so tight I cant make it up in the same week.
I might be mowing on saturday something thats normally thursday, but its a simple policy , everything gets mowed int he week it was scheduled for.
I really hope I can remain profitable scheduling mowing only 4 days a week, Tuesday through Friday. I specifically advertise on my hangers that we only schedule as much work that can be reliably managed. Impressive record my friend!