Mowing Pro, but know-nothing when it comes to fert...

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by Tucssarg1005, Jul 12, 2019.

1. Tucssarg1005

Tucssarg1005 LawnSite Member

I mow professionally but I don’t do fert and my personal lawn needs help. It’s not in terrible shape but needs to be thicker and healthier. Thought about Scott’s 4 step since it seems simple and there’s a step which calls for it to be done this time of year so I can get two apps down before the seasons end.

However, last summer before I bought this house there was a grub issue that decimated my next door neighbors lawn and got a little of mine. I’d like to treat for grubs but the four step doesn’t have that.

Tldr; can anyone put me in a program to get my lawn whipped into as good of shape as possible for the remainder of the season and also prevent grubs? I’m in Ohio. It’s been in the high 80’s for the last few weeks but we’ve had enough rain to keep things green and looking pretty good despite the heat. Thanks.

Cam15 likes this.
  2. kemco

kemco LawnSite Silver Member

Arena .25 at lable rate for grubs. Then monthly... Hang on where are you (area) and turf type?

Edit.. Ohio. I digress and will leave this to the northern pros.

Cam15 likes this.
  3. Cam15

Cam15 LawnSite Silver Member

I know nothin about fert. But I also am in OH where you at in OH?

4. Mudly

Mudly LawnSite Senior Member

What kinda grubs

hort101 likes this.
  5. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Now is the best time for grub control. Scotts Grub-Ex with acelepryn is excellent. Not exactly cheap. Should prevent and kill new grubs that are beginning to hatch out of the eggs in the next week or two. Don't wait. Water it in, after laying it down.
    In theory, you are protected till next July.
    Grubs will not move in from nearby lawns. Don't travel much--short legs.
    See grub information from OSU Entomologist, Dr David Shetler.

https://bygl.osu.edu/index.php/node/1337

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019 at 10:09 AM
    Cam15 likes this.
  6. OP
    OP
    Tucssarg1005

Steubenville. Half hour west of Pittsburgh, right in OH/WV border.

Cam15 likes this.
  7. OP
    OP
    Tucssarg1005

Dunno. White ones.

Cam15 likes this.
  8. OP
    OP
    Tucssarg1005

My next door neighbor had his lawn destroyed, along with the neighbor directly across the street. My lawn had some but they both had to have new lawns installed this year. Can I treat grubs and start on a program to improve the overall thickness and health of my lawn together or within some reasonable time of each other?

9. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

A program to improve the lawn can be started now--just do the grub control right away. Install irrigation if you can. Get on a good fertilizer program with about 50 percent of the fertilizer nitrogen in a slow-release form, (at least 30 percent). Do a soil test to be sure if you need lime or extra potassium. Have a company spray the weeds. About 8 weeks before frost--say August 15th--overseed with modern high-quality disease resistant seed. Costs more--and its better.
    Plan for more fertilizer in early fall and late fall--say early September and late October.

Plan for crabgrass control about the date of the first mowing in spring.

10. andersman02

andersman02 LawnSite Senior Member

Ditto what riggle said, acelepryn asap, check for break through in a month