Mowing really long grass

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by lgolling, Feb 17, 2017.

1. lgolling

lgolling LawnSite Member

I am in California and we have gotten so much rain I haven't been able to mow a 22 acre filed that we keep up since Dec. It is going to be another month or so before it dies out enough to mow. I am wondering the best approach. I use a Kubota and pull a landpride attachment to mow. we have a flail mower attachment that we use for unmaintained fields. should I use that first and then mow or just set the landpride as high as possible and mow 2-3 times? thanks!

2. 1977212

1977212 LawnSite Senior Member

The state mows ditches twice or three times a year with flail mowers. I don't see how it's an issue unless it's very thick. It wouldn't hurt to flail it and then mow it shortly after the overgrowth that's cut drys.

lgolling likes this.
  3. GoPappy

GoPappy LawnSite Senior Member

Is the Land Pride "attachment" a brush hog or a finish mower? If it has a belt that turns the blade spindle pulleys it is a finish mower.

A finish mower is NOT made for cutting overgrown fields. If you bog it down, the belt will slip, which leads to premature belt wear/breakage.

If the Land Pride is a finish mower, I'd use the flail to cut it the first time. Lower the rear roller to raise the cutting height so you're not trying to take too much off. Then lower the roller the next time you cut it.

If the Land Pride is a brush hog type of mower, I'd use that to knock it down and then go back with the flail to make it pretty.

lgolling likes this.
  4. lgolling

lgolling LawnSite Member

It is a finish mower. Thank you for the advice, I will flail it first and then mow! I wont be able to do it anytime soon, it is still raining and has a river flowing through!

5. GrassManKzoo

GrassManKzoo LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Kalamazoo, MI

#whatdrought?

lgolling likes this.
  6. GoPappy

GoPappy LawnSite Senior Member

Yep, the flail is the right tool (of the ones you have). It will be slow going the first time through. After you cut it the first time, I'd let it dry for a few sunny days, and then go back over it.