• Thankful For Your Family…. Business?
    Landscaping businesses are often family endeavors. While this can combine the best of both worlds (personal and professional), it isn’t always smooth sailing. Click here to read more.

Mowing Urban Interstate Areas

envirodiver

LawnSite Member
I'm preparing a bid to mow an Intertstate interchange in a city. Does anyone have expereince with that type of mowing and if so what kind of prices per acre are normal?

Thanks

Accu-cut Lawn Care

LawnSite Bronze Member
That question is way too broad. Many factors are involved... access, amount of acreage, signage needed, blah, blah, blah. Give us more details.

MikeKle

LawnSite Platinum Member
I know a guy that had the expressways in KY from Covington to Louisville, it included the sides, the middle and any areas around the exit/entrance ramps, They wanted it done 3 times a year and they would first send out a crew of guys to pick up garbage and other large debris, then they would collect it all, then they would break out the tractors and batwings. I believe this guy had around 15-20 tractors mowing at one time. This stretch of road he was doing was roughly 90 miles. Plus you have to have quite a few semi trucks to move all the equipment around. He only did it for about 2 years, when someone else came in and under bid him by like $500, and he lost the account!!! He came close to loosing everything as a result of that, because he had large payments on all the equipment and what not. He said it is not worth it, unless you have the equipment already paid off due to the fact that anyone can come in and under bid you at any time!! He was getting $75K per mowing.

howierd3866

LawnSite Senior Member
the problem is down here we mow on some 8 to 12 times a year. And some every other week. Now the state is going by per month with set amount but you might have to cut it anywhere from 1 to 3 times per month for the same cost gpes my the heigh.

OP
E

envirodiver

LawnSite Member
Yeah I guess it was pretty slight on info accu-cut. This a 51 acre piece of land just around a interstate interchange with entry and exit ramps. Some of the land has reasonably steep slopes, but should be able to do them with a walk behind.

Because of all of the different pieces that are not interconnected there will be some time spent moving from cutting location to the next. Litter removal is part of the bid. It will be cut every 4 weeks so the grass will get fairly tall at times.

As I said it is in a city so there will be quite a bit of traffic, heavy at times.

By signage needed, are you refering to safety signage?

topsites

LawnSite Fanatic
Yeah, be constantly mindful of traffic, drivers won't slow down or move over an inch on account of you,
thou they'd probably come to a squealing stop should your mower "throw" something at their precious vehicle.

Anyhow, just be aware of it.

howierd3866

LawnSite Senior Member
here another though..it broken down here as large mowing= open area with batwings. then small mower =walk behind/zturn.and interm. mowing= hand work/slope mowing..trash=trash..edging=edging. So for the laughs on here the large mowing goes from $9.00 to 20.00 per acre..small mowing anywhere from15 to 45 acre..slope from 45 to 175 per acre..trash from 1.00 per acre to 35.00. need more when I get into the office I give you more for a good laugh..good luck