Mowing with a Large Walk Behind

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by outrunjason, Apr 30, 2019.

1. outrunjason

outrunjason LawnSite Senior Member
    from dallas

If you guys are watching my new YouTube channel you will see where I was talking to this guy about what size mowers he has. He said his smallest is a 36" and the largest at 72".

My question is this. Where my lawn service is located in Dallas my customers have a fit if they see a big mower on there grass. Sometimes it leaves ruts, gives an uneven cut etc. Is it common in other places to use larger mowers on residential small properties with no issue? If it is I might as well pack up and move to here in Florida. I could get a lot of lawns done. My largest mower is is a 42" and 90% of the time we are using 21" Toros.

Jason

2. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

Better pack up and move

I don’t think anyone makes 72” WB mowers anymore btw.

Maaaybe Ferris

Cam15 likes this.
  3. TomH&H

TomH&H LawnSite Member
    Male, from Coopersburg, PA

The only time I use a 21" here in PA is in a very tiny front yard around some vehicles, and in a few small fenced in areas around pools. Other than that, it's a 48" walk behind or a 60" zero turn, no matter what the property size is.

Ridin' Green, K c m and flybynite like this.
  4. OP
    OP
    outrunjason

from dallas

You know I was wondering that. I never hear of a 72. I think that is what he said though.

5. OP
    OP
    outrunjason

from dallas

I had no idea. Maybe our customers will start catching on.

6. OakNut

OakNut LawnSite Platinum Member

I use my 21 a lot more than most guys would because of the damage I know will result from using my 36.
    The pros will be quick to point out that I'm an amateur hack if I can't run a 36 without causing damage, but they aren't here looking at the lawns I'm talking about.

Some lawns are so small that you can't alternate mowing patterns and some are soft soil, or have perpetual damp areas. Not all lawns are created equal, so I use the mower that's best for the lawn - not the one that's "fastest".

I should stop and take photos of all the ruined lawns I see while driving around. Too many people only care about getting "gone" as soon as they get there.

7. Hawkshot99

Hawkshot99 LawnSite Bronze Member

48wb is my small mower. I had some lawns that took a 21 for fenced in pools. Got rid of them as it slowed me down to much and I truly hated mowing those lawns.

8. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

Could be an oolllld one?

outrunjason likes this.
  9. F&J Lawn Service

F&J Lawn Service LawnSite Member

I mainly use 21" mowers on my small to medium lawns for a few reasons. They're easy on turf, easy on gas, easy to maintain, user-friendly for rookies, no trailer, they're ALOT quieter. I have spent less than $20 on maintenance this year. 5 to 6 gals. of gas a week There is a guy that cuts a couple of my old lawns with a huge stand on mower. Now the lawns have giant ruts and look like crap in my opinion. I understand why guys hate push mowing but it works for my business. Not to mention at 50 years old I have incredible stamina from push mowing. Lol

Cam15 and hort101 like this.
  10. cold-beer

cold-beer LawnSite Member

I use a couple Honda HRX mowers for everything. Myself and a helper will both hit a property with 2 mowers. Whoever finishes their portion first goes right to trimming and edging. I'm a newer business that specializes in small properties. So far, my marketing angle seems to be working quite well. My end goal is to build a very tight route of small properties.

Anyways, I think people underestimate just how fast you can do a small or even medium property wit a couple 21's. I do plan on getting a commercial Toro 30" walk behind next season, as I've heard they've finally fixed a lot of the issues with these mowers.

F&J Lawn Service and hort101 like this.