Mowing with shirts off

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by rclawn, Mar 10, 2019.

1. rclawn

rclawn LawnSite Senior Member

Honest thoughts? It gets so hot here in the summer and my guys are really pushing this. We most recently had a meeting for the upcoming growing season and this was really the only thing they wanted to change! I took that as a good thing... out of everything with my company this is all they don’t like.

But I’m just worried it will make us seem like Beer money guys. We use newer wright standers, trailer is well painted and trucks are 2015 and 2016’s. Would you allow your employees to mow with shirts off? To me, on the one hand it looks unprofessional. But then again these guys are cutting grass not giving legal advice or mortgages. At the end of the day I feel like people don’t really care because they’re just labor guys and only there for 20 mins...

2. hal

hal LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Georgia

Nope I would scare customers away.....white lightning. It looks unprofessional, even though I did it in my 20's.

3. Jake the grass guy

Jake the grass guy LawnSite Senior Member

i agree im just a solo opp. but if i had employees i would not allow it. its not what you think its what your company will look like to everyone. its all about perception. people will think it looks unprofessional. maybe look into getting some really nice lightweight shirts either polos are regular shirts that wick the sweat away. thats what i would do.

Tara Ann and hort101 like this.
  4. Matthews Lawn Care

Matthews Lawn Care LawnSite Silver Member

Nope, wouldn’t do it. It’s just an open invitation for problems.

Instead, I’d look at getting them some shirts that’d keep them cooler.

Also, I’m 2.5 hrs south of KC. It’s not that hot to where shedding a shirt will make a difference. If anything, it will be hotter with the sun hitting your skin directly.

5. Mark Stark

Mark Stark LawnSite Senior Member

Not a chance.

When I was in the Army, I spent more than a year in the sandbox (Iraq). It gets very hot there. None of the locals went shirtless. In fact, they wore long sleeve shirts that were looser in fit.

It has to do with sweat & how it evaporates. It's a mindset. Guys think they feel better shirtless but mostly, they don't. They'll get sweaty, then dirty from dust & grass. Then they'll complain about that. In the meantime, they'll mess up your truck seats and mower seats with their gross body sweat. They'll look intimidating to clients.

Fat guys with no shirts and bouncy man boobs on my clients properties? NOPE

Mark Oomkes, Tara Ann, Ma&Pa and 9 others like this.
  6. Doc8406

Doc8406 LawnSite Fanatic

No.. it is why i will keep three shirts in the vehicle at any time..

7. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

i wear long sleeved tshirts and khaki pants all summer long even in 100 degree heat. if it's hot you are gonna be hot no matter what. plus if you are sweating dust and grass will stick to your sweat.

Tara Ann, Spartan57, Valk and 3 others like this.
  8. Doc8406

Doc8406 LawnSite Fanatic

IMG_0169.JPG

UpNorthMowing likes this.
  9. OP
    OP
    rclawn

rclawn LawnSite Senior Member

So.. cut offs? (The sleeveless shirts where you cut down the side so your ribs get some sun)?

10. Doc8406

Doc8406 LawnSite Fanatic

Personally, i wouldn't.. it is all about image in my book and projecting a positive one at that.. the redneck look never really does that i think

Tara Ann and North Idaho Dream like this.