Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello , I have been in business for a year now but have only recently started mowing nicer lawns. I have an Exmark and in Bermuda grass I leave uneven lines and ridges ( which makes my cut look like garbage) and I am unsure of how low to mow without giving a scalped look. Any help would be appreciated. Also are there any time saving techniques that anyone knows of ? Not looking to cheat the customers of quality, just looking to save a little time. Thanks for any help or suggestions. Sorry for the long first post.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Is it a fixed deck mower? If the deck rake is too steep, it can leave a scalloped look. Personally, I hate cutting bermuda and zosia yards--they are very senstive. If you cut them 1/4" lower in a spot (which often happens when alternating striping directions), they can look horrible.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Are the blades sharp? Do you have a bent blade? Does it leave the marks in the same spot of each line, or is it random spots? Bermuda is hard to cut because it is green on top and then brown below. Maybe you should raise the deck a little bit.

476 Posts
Is it a fixed deck mower? If the deck rake is too steep, it can leave a scalloped look. Personally, I hate cutting bermuda and zosia yards--they are very senstive. If you cut them 1/4" lower in a spot (which often happens when alternating striping directions), they can look horrible.
I have one zosia grass yard. It is as you say "very sensitive".

·
Registered
5,451 Posts
If you got the 46 eXmark hp then its not a fixed deck. Are you mulching or side discharging? When I mulch its mostly St. Augustine and when I get to bermuda it gives me the same issues. Try using a high lift blade. Ask your dealer what they recommend for your grass. I would think you can go as low as 2 1/2" depending on the type of Bermuda.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am mulching, I just think it looks better. Are there adjustments i can make to the deck ? Is a high lift blade different from the exmark mulching blades ? This is a lawn I just started mowing and I would hate to upset the home owner becuse this ais a great account that includes multiple homes and businesses. Thanks fo the input.

·
Registered
351 Posts
the problem only shows on uneven ground,
Unfortunately, I think you are out of luck. The only three tricks I know that might help:

(1) Always cut the same pattern (so you don't cut some spots lower when aproaching a bump from a different direction--this is of course, a bad idea for other reasons like tracking).
(2) Raise your deck when making a zero turn at the end of rows.
(3) Regularly increase the height of cut as the season progressses in 1/4" intervals (this hides the brown "thatch" under fresh green growth).

or (4) Use a 21" mower (I know--no fun!)

I cut a couple of zoysia yards with my 48" Lazer HP; I prefer it in most uneven ground cases to a 36" walkbehind or fixed-deck Stander because I can "feather" the deck or pull it up entirely when I approach a bumpy section. I still occasionly end up with a few brown patches, unfortunately.

Good luck!

·
Moderator, Friend, Angel
36,324 Posts
Check your tire pressure at least twice a day. Cool part of the day and then the hot part of the day. Ya fixed decks don't do well on sloped/humpy yards with warm season grasses. Bermuda is usually brown when the mower cuts in a bit. Raise your deck to alleviate this and some customers will complain about that too

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.