MP Rotator vs RB R-VAN

Discussion in 'Professional Discussions' started by zr100, May 13, 2018.

1. zr100

zr100 LawnSite Member
    from NH

I use the MP rotator a lot but am curious about the R-VAN. Thanks!

2. mitchgo

mitchgo LawnSite Gold Member

I friggin love this video

Reminds of a Ford or Chevy truck commercial

I am in the belief if I used these nozzles first as opposed to MP Rotators I would be more in favor of the R-vans. However I use MP's often has spray conversions as quick fixes to correct poorly designed spray zones or over extended zones.

I think just like the TPN ( Toro precision Nozzle) All 3 specialty brands have their place.
    I personally have only seen just a couple systems with RVans in the field and my knowledge is limited. Though I just took a product inform class from rain bird

zr100 likes this.
  3. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Did you eat lots of doughnuts, Mitch? That's all the school district boys did at those classes. I would hope RB improved the VAN. I hated it (a necessary evil, though) because the pattern was so uneven and the 'spitting' was a pain. They sometimes would get stuck in a 1800 head and cause flow-by.

zr100 likes this.
  4. SoCalLandscapeMgmt

SoCalLandscapeMgmt LawnSite Silver Member

Well, given my overall dislike of all things Hunter, I'm sure you can guess which one is my preference. I like the R-VAN. It's a solid product and it's come a long way since the original Rain Bird fixed arc rotary nozzle. I've got a lot of them in the ground and they have performed well for me. I've got just as many MP Rotators in the ground and we seem to have issues with them not rotating after a while.

5. SoCalLandscapeMgmt

This is the R-VAN. Rain Bird's equivalent to the MP Rotator. But I do agree with you. The standard VAN spray nozzle is the most worthless POS that anybody has ever made. That goes for Rain Bird, Hunter and anybody else that uses a similar design.

6. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

You sound like you’ve a pretty good grouch on big Dan, maybe a big ol glass of ice cold buttermilk will settle your upset.

Or just get drunk and tear the doors off :)

Dennistnt likes this.
  7. SoCalLandscapeMgmt

LOL. I guess those posts do come off a bit grouchy. It’s been a long couple of weeks dealing with employee issues and other stupidity.

Mike Leary likes this.
  8. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

If I were a doctor I’d prescribe getting drunk and tearing the doors off but I’m not.

Actually that’s pretty much my prescription for living life. You can pretty much understand why I’m not a marriage counselor.

9. CAPT Stream Rotar

CAPT Stream Rotar LawnSite Fanatic

MP's for days.

When Hunter bought Walla Walla it was a wrap.
    I remember at times when they were new my supply house couldn't keep them on the shelves.

But for the price the RB 1800 series is a better match for a spray body.

Love the Green Biz likes this.
  10. gusbuster

gusbuster LawnSite Bronze Member

I claim ignorance.
    I thought on the Rain vans, if you adjusted the distance screw you would loose mpr.....That was one of the big selling points before with the MP rotator......oh by the way, after 10 years at my own home, i am now starting to have issues.....It doesn't help though that i drove a metal fence stake through the lateral and it got all full of sand.....Having a doosey of a time getting everything flushed since our municipal water supply wells are being worked/tampered with. Darn new developments.

Mike Leary likes this.