MP Rotator vs RB R-VAN

Discussion in 'Professional Discussions' started by zr100, May 13, 2018.

1. jbell36

jbell36 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from KANSAS

I simply don't see the r-vans around here. Not saying they are a bad nozzle, I just don't seem them. They put out more water than the MP's so there is no real advantage, whereas you can put more heads on an MP zone. Yes, you will have to run that zone longer, but it helps with certain areas, maybe you can have a complete full sun front yard on one zone as opposed to two. Fewer valves. I have most definitely seen them stop rotating though, I would say that's my biggest complaint.

2. Ron Wolfarth

Ron Wolfarth Sponsor

If I may....
    More water results in larger, heavier water droplets which means less wind drift and evaporation which means better performance in the wind and more water actually hitting the target area.

3. enorl76

enorl76 LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Orlando, FL

So you're saying you like the Rain Bird R-VANs better, due to the larger water droplets, I assume? :laugh:

4. Ron Wolfarth

Ron Wolfarth Sponsor

Uh, yeah, I guess so.....:nod:
    All joking aside....
    It happens I am sitting in Washington, DC, a few blocks north of the White House, at the National Association of Home Builders sitting through the process to revise the National Green Building Standard. There is one advocate always present, who represents an NGO, who has continually tried to impose limits to precipitation rate for sprinklers as a means of improving irrigation efficiency. This has been going on for a few years now. I have (so far) successfully eliminated this bad policy direction by educating non-irrigation folks that precipitation rate limits eliminate from use sprinklers that are, perhaps, more efficient in favor of others that less efficient. This results in fewer efficient choices available to the designer when trying to design the 'best, most efficient' irrigation system.
    So, yes, I favor, in general, larger, heavier water droplets that are not as easily blown around in the wind, have less surface area exposed to evaporation, and cause water to be suspended in the air and subjected to the previous, efficiency harming conditions for a shorter period of time.
    For those who would just love to read a more detailed discussion of this, I have attached a 2 page paper on the topic. (If you can't sleep tonight!)

Attached Files:

5. enorl76

enorl76 LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Orlando, FL

Indeed. It’s good there’s actually subject matter experts to inform the lawyers and bureaucrats about how the real world actually is, instead of how they think it should be.

Ron Wolfarth likes this.
  6. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

You guys get all the good stuff and guys like us can’t have nuthin nice.

Unlimited expense accounts, traveling all over the world, hobnobbing with the prez and missus. All because you know a little bit about sprinklers......

When you’re suppin with the first family feel free to toss out my name and tell em im ready to help run this here nation. 1-800-1idejim E0640982-CBED-4BBF-9629-48410A202255.jpeg

7. gusbuster

gusbuster LawnSite Bronze Member

I will have to give these nozzles a try.

However, The reason I like the slower put down of the MP rotator is because on a slope with clay soil, the water did actually soak in rather than start running off after a couple minutes because the water was being put down too fast. So wouldn't r vans have this same issue as a fixed spray since its precipitation rate up there?

In the flat area's I'm still using the u-series nozzles. But on the slopes of the San Francisco Peninsula, so far the MP was a better option to avoid run off issues.
    John

8. mitchgo

mitchgo LawnSite Gold Member

The other route is utilizing your programming schedule. Cycle and soak method of watering helps a lot

Mike Leary likes this.
  9. Raven2510

Raven2510 LawnSite Member

Yea, then time and length of run cycle plays a factor on larger systems.

zr100 likes this.
  10. Ron Wolfarth

Ron Wolfarth Sponsor

I wanted to have a Beer Summit with Trump, but then I remembered we don't drink at RB.