MP Rotator vs RB R-VAN

Discussion in 'Professional Discussions' started by zr100, May 13, 2018.

1. Ron Wolfarth

Ron Wolfarth Sponsor

MPs are 0.4 "/hr and higher Precipitation Rate
    RVANs are 0.6 "/hr and higher PR
    Sprays are about 1.5 "/hr PR.
    So, yes RVAN are higher, but not much and not close to sprays. And the benefits of larger water droplets are worth it, especially when Cycle + Soak will totally eliminate run off anyway.

2. Delmarva Keith

Delmarva Keith LawnSite Senior Member

Always good to have more options. With the addition of a wider product line of the RVANS this year (I think it’s just this year), I forsee this solving some uniformity issues, especially on existing systems (mix and match different brands / types to get better uniformity or resolve a problem spot — or is that sacrilege :eek: ;)). The industry overall really seems to be advancing lately. Thumbs Up

3. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

think about it - Trump Beer - :puke:

4. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

5. frumdig

frumdig LawnSite Senior Member
    from nunya

we don't see many rotator nozzle around here... allthough we have installed a few zones ourselfs... I've always used the rain birds, and I was skeptical of the rvans getting clogged or breaking easily... but the couple zones we have out there have held up well over the last 3 years... i think it's all about a properly installed head when it comes to rotator nozzles... they just don't like to be buried, or in a spot that dirt frequently washes over the head. good pressure helps too.

zr100 and Love the Green Biz like this.
  6. Love the Green Biz

Love the Green Biz LawnSite Platinum Member

That's been my take on the R-Vans. Just look at them performing and it is obvious they are the better rotary nozzle. I started using them in 2009 after a brief and very annoying dalliance with the MPs.

Not that they didn't have their idiosyncrasies; in particular filament turf root intrusion and the same soil wash over/deep planting problem another member mentioned. But overall-they are very good.

The new 45 psi 1800 are a help to avoid high pressure issues but I would rather they were set to 55 psi. Systems I have installed where the supply is pressure regulated at 60 psi perform perfectly and when the layout is sharp they are a beautiful sight to behold. Brings me back to my old Toro 300 days.

7. Delmarva Keith

Delmarva Keith LawnSite Senior Member

8BD6ED12-92ED-4464-931B-D64F55216835.jpeg

8. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

What!, you don't use 'Stream Rotors' any more? That is pure blasphemy, sir!

Screen Shot 2018-05-19 at 4.15.03 PM.png

9. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Ark

OH yeah I've done that, installed a RVan in place of a MP in an area that needs more water such as around a tree

Delmarva Keith likes this.
  10. Love the Green Biz

Love the Green Biz LawnSite Platinum Member

Only as service replacements to keep existing systems "pure".