MP Rotator vs RB R-VAN

Discussion in 'Professional Discussions' started by zr100, May 13, 2018.

1. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

One 'headache' about installing stream rotors is that easy head replacement will only happen with another stream rotor, and the no-oil gear drives just aren't as bulletproof as the originals, which devalues the installs a bit.

Love the Green Biz likes this.
  2. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Why Toro did not figure out that some of us might need a low-drain-check-valve on the 12 inchers was beyond me. By the time a Hunter LDC was installed, it was not only DEEP, but a pricey install! Other than that, I'd still use them, as long as I had great PSI & GPM!

3. SoCalLandscapeMgmt

SoCalLandscapeMgmt LawnSite Silver Member

Because Toro is primarily a manufacturer of turf equipment. Irrigation is only a secondary thing for them and a tiny part of their sales.

4. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Only in a old geezer's dreams: A fitting tribute to a great man, would be for Toro to give the patent back to the inventor, Ed Hunter, and let Hunter run with the best sprinkler ever invented, my beloved 'Stream-Rotor'. :clapping:

5. Love the Green Biz

Love the Green Biz LawnSite Platinum Member

Hunter would just make the seal leak.:laugh::laugh::laugh:

6. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

Not to mention water time is less , allowing larger systems to finish watering within a preffered watering window.

Mike Leary likes this.
  7. Ron Wolfarth

Ron Wolfarth Sponsor

Yes, when wind is at its lowest.

8. AmarilloSlim

AmarilloSlim LawnSite Member

I’ve revamped two systems with R-Vans. Around 30 nozzles total. 1 wouldn’t adjust radius. Two wouldn’t flush as advertised with clean water and filter/ nozzle. I like the concept but with 1000’s of MP’s/walla’s in the ground I’ve made my decision. After the bugs are worked out I’ll reconsider. I do like the larger drops from rain bird though

9. Ron Wolfarth

Ron Wolfarth Sponsor

Slim,
    Please contact me through email or a Lawnsite PM (now called a 'Conversation') to give me details on the RVAN that would not adjust radius. We are curious about this one.

Regarding non-flushing, we have had these claims before. When we investigate these we have found that customers are being too careful, not pulling up hard enough. You cannot break it by pulling straight up with your hand. (I know this sounds like a challenge to some and they will go out and try to prove me wrong. If you are successful, make sure to stand next to me the next time I get in a bar fight! HaHa - never) Pull up with your hand 75% as hard as you can or until flushing starts. My point is that 5% as hard as you can pull up is not enough.

Another finding in the cases of inadequate flushing is that there was not enough flow set to go through the nozzle. Please set the radius to full open and the arc to at least 180 degrees to ensure enough water flow to flush the debris.

10. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Ark

Used a couple of RVans today, man them suckers are spinners. Thought they might be screwed up they were spinning so fast but I guess that's the way they roll.