MP Rotator vs RB R-VAN

Discussion in 'Professional Discussions' started by zr100, May 13, 2018.

1. Delmarva Keith

Delmarva Keith LawnSite Senior Member

Can you test the pressure? Have seen this myself before but it was overpressure (around 85 psi at the nozzles from an over eager well pump that didn’t seem to match too good with reduced flow from the lower PR nozzles).

2. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Ark

Pressure was only 30, actually did at nozzle reading

Delmarva Keith likes this.
  3. Delmarva Keith

Delmarva Keith LawnSite Senior Member

Hmm, supersonic at 30. Maybe you got some duds. :(

4. mitchgo

mitchgo LawnSite Gold Member

This is good to know. I tried flushing my first set of rvans today and it didn't work. However this was dirty well system with no filter so they were suuuuupper dirty

5. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Ark

I'll do some more testing at my house today

zr100 likes this.
  6. Love the Green Biz

Love the Green Biz LawnSite Platinum Member

Be careful of pressure-too much and they can spin beyond operating norms and appear to be just "spinning their wheels". Try to keep discharge pressures under 65 psi.

7. enorl76

enorl76 LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Orlando, FL

In my own experience, the RVANs do spin about 50% faster then the MP rotators.

I believe the target pressure for RVANS is 45PSI, so its recommended to pair the RVANs with the 1800 PRS-45 to maintain no more than 45 PSI

Crimson Lawn likes this.
  8. Love the Green Biz

It has been my experience that they run OK at 45 psi but so much better at 60. They really look and cover the best at this pressure-and I've installed over 3000 of them to date (since 2009).

I recently started using the 45 psi in the really high psi areas and like the fact I don't get the "spins". However where psi is 60 - 70 they look and perform the best.

Ron-any chance RB will come out with a 55 PSI 1800? Would eat them like candy if so-I guess I can dream.

9. Ron Wolfarth

Ron Wolfarth Sponsor

I will pass that idea along, but we usually have very good data behind things like recommended operating pressure.

10. Love the Green Biz

Data is one thing-field use is another. 45 psi is just "OK"-it needs another 10 psi to be "excellent".

I found a similar connection years ago with the Toro 300 stream rotors. Stream rotary heads are very sensitive to pressure-too little is NG-too much is NG. The sweet spot is 55-70.

Mike Leary likes this.