1. Is Landscaping An “Essential Business” In Your Region?
    Read the timely article from Turf addressing this question. Click here to learn more.

COVID-19 Safety Procedures For Landscapers
    As you are working out in the field, maximize safety for you, your crews, and customers. Click here to learn more.

Dismiss Notice

MP Rotator vs RB R-VAN

Discussion in 'Professional Discussions' started by zr100, May 13, 2018.

1. magna111

magna111 LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

We don’t have 55+ in most communities I service ...

2. Love the Green Biz

Love the Green Biz LawnSite Fanatic

Are you on mostly wells or municipal water? What part of Jersey?

Up North high pressure is the norm. Rarely do I see anything below 70 and 80-130 is common. Rockland and Orange counties in NY vary widely from 30s up to 90s.

There are many areas with 100+ psi and old galvanized water mains in 100 year old homes. Great pressure but volume is an issue due to accumulated rust in the mains from street to home. I tested one such home recently to estimate a new install and had 110 psi and 7 GPM.

If that main was 3/4" copper it would push 16+ GPM wide open. Always test your volume when old galvanized piping is present.

3. magna111

from NJ

Central jersey, mercer county. The majority of our systems are municipal water, I’d guess most range 35-50psi at 7-10gpm.

4. magna111

from NJ

Central jersey, mercer county. The majority of our systems are municipal water, I’d guess most range 35-50psi at 7-10gpm.

5. Love the Green Biz

Think of the silver lining here-no need to pay extra for pressure regulating heads. A couple of extra zone valves is the price extracted.

6. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

You can do decent small-scale systems with 300's running at 35-40 psi. The heads will never work well at the lower pressures a standard rotor can operate at (with maybe a breakup-screw aiding distribution)

7. Love the Green Biz

300s are very wimpy at 35-40 but work far better than MPs or R-Vans at those psi. I've use many 45 psi 1800 spray bodies with the R-Vans and they work OK but I stand by the sweet spot being 55-70.

The last 300 system I installed was in 2012 with 65 psi static and 50+ dynamic. It looked great.

8. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Small scale work with the 300's involved mostly the midrange 02 nozzles. No question the 03/93/63 nozzles looked better with additional pressure.

9. Love the Green Biz

Those 63/93 nozzles were interesting in that they worked well for a lighter application in shade on the same zone as 03s in the sun.

A well designed 300 system is still a sight to behold even years later.

10. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

I never used the 01. Fooled around with 63/93, but LOVED THOSE 02 NOZZLES!

Love the Green Biz likes this.