1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

MPG Question

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by TheChiefsLawnCare, Mar 5, 2012.

1. TheChiefsLawnCare

TheChiefsLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

When I pull my trailer with my 1500 sierra, I get about 8 miles to the gallon. I would really like to get better MPG than that am I am considering getting a diesel. The diesel that I am looking at is a 2006 f350 dully. what kinda MPG do you get with that truck. I am thinking 12-13. Im also considering doing the E3 spark plugs and then doing the K&N airfilter for my current truck. Do you think that will give me what a diesel will or do I just need to see what kind of deal I can get on the 350. And then on the other hand, if I do the k&n and e3 spark plugs with the diesel, I will proab end up getting better MPG either way.

2. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

While those are good plugs and filters they will not get you an extra 4~5 mpg. Do you really need a 1 ton dually? Your best bet is an F250 deisel.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. TheChiefsLawnCare

Yeah thats what I was thinking. I also really like the look of a dully lol. Do you get better MPG with a truck thats not a dully cause its less weight and less resistance

4. luis@NJ

luis@NJ LawnSite Senior Member

A diesel will almost always get way better mpg's. You can do various things to a gas engine to increase mpg's like a tune-up, intake, chips. Etc. But nothing beats the sound of a diesel truck. I am looking to up-grade my truck to a diesel. Im part of the 8-10 miles per gallon club as well haha. :cry:

5. TheChiefsLawnCare

yeah i love the diesel sound and smell. esp the 6.0L. I wish they still made em loud. I think cummins still has the best sounding. im thinking im goin to look at the 350 and see what they can work out

6. TheChiefsLawnCare

i just hate to get rid of it because i have tow mirrors on the way, just put a navigation in it got my windows tinted, exhaust, and hids

7. FYS777

FYS777 LawnSite Silver Member

ha ha, the diesel dosen't use spark plugs . and the cummins is a 6.7.... ha ha spark plugs for a diesel,, :):)

8. TheChiefsLawnCare

yeah i no diesel dosent use spark plugs. i no i said that in my original post haha. o well, correction change the air filter to a k&n lol

9. FullMoonLandscaping

FullMoonLandscaping LawnSite Member

should be easy to sell that truck

10. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

you dont need a dually Matt! sometimes i wish i didnt have one, but it pulls my goose neck trailers alot better than my f250 did. look a for an F250 or dodge 2500. no reason to have a dually to pull a 16' enclosed trailer. plus parking sux with a dually.