Ms170

Advance_lawn_care

LawnSite Senior Member
Had it for around 5 years I guess. Very light use. Maintaining rent houses cutting out saplings. Small jobs for clients. Biggest tree I've dropped with it was probably 6 or 8 inches. I'm hard core as you can tell. Well now I'm clearing a site for my house. 30 or so trees from 8 to 20 inches I'm guessing. I know it's a cheapo saw but it is nice for small stuff so I don't really want to kill it and have to buy another light weight saw. You think it can handle the task with ease without dying or should I invest in a 450 or 455? Bigger chain is less likely to get stuck right? Make quicker work of the job. I'm wondering if the crappy saw will make it harder and more dangerous. Don't want to buy something I don't need but don't want to smoke my little saw and have to buy a big saw and replace my little saw.

OP
Advance_lawn_care

Advance_lawn_care

LawnSite Senior Member
I also looked at the 550 mark 2 but I think that would be way overkill for me. But if it performs so much better then it's not much more than a rancher....

Integrity-LC

LawnSite Member
Don't put that 170 through that torture, its just not made for it. The 455 is a good saw but a bit of a pig for its output, pretty heavy. The 550 mkii will be an improvement over the rancher even with less displacement plus being a pro saw it will be built better and be lighter. IMO if you can swing the extra $$ for a pro spec saw I would, you will see the difference when you compare specs, specifically power to weight.

OP
Advance_lawn_care

Advance_lawn_care

LawnSite Senior Member
Yea, everything I read on here said go pro. I finally got it thru my head it won't be about durability but usability. I'll have a way tougher saw than I need but when I need it it will work well I'm guessing.

Comparing the mk2 to a rancher is the only usability advantage power to weight? Or does it run a different chain, like full chisel vs semi (I could google that but this is the extent of what I read. I'm sure there are other things to consider I don't even know exist.) Does the mk2 use a bigger chain that isn't as prone to binding?

I want to buy the biggest saw ill reasonably need but I also wonder if I'm skilled enough to use anything beyond a 20 inch bar. I thought about a 60cc saw so I could run a 24 inch bar if I ever needed it. 50cc saw with a 20inch bar probably the most saw a total rookie should use and cover most everything ill do or should I get a 60 cc just incase one day I'm skilled enough to put a longer bar on it and need it?

Integrity-LC

LawnSite Member
Yea, everything I read on here said go pro. I finally got it thru my head it won't be about durability but usability. I'll have a way tougher saw than I need but when I need it it will work well I'm guessing.

Comparing the mk2 to a rancher is the only usability advantage power to weight? Or does it run a different chain, like full chisel vs semi (I could google that but this is the extent of what I read. I'm sure there are other things to consider I don't even know exist.) Does the mk2 use a bigger chain that isn't as prone to binding?

I want to buy the biggest saw ill reasonably need but I also wonder if I'm skilled enough to use anything beyond a 20 inch bar. I thought about a 60cc saw so I could run a 24 inch bar if I ever needed it. 50cc saw with a 20inch bar probably the most saw a total rookie should use and cover most everything ill do or should I get a 60 cc just incase one day I'm skilled enough to put a longer bar on it and need it?

A 60cc saw will handle the bigger stuff better for sure but think about what you might need the saws for in the future. Do you want to have the extra weight of a 60cc saw for it or would you rather have a lighter 50cc saw that can handle most small to medium tree jobs? The difference in price jumps up exponentially going from a 50 to 60 cc pro saw too. In my non professional opinion a 50cc pro saws like the 550 or the Stihl MS261 with an 18-20” bar will handle most stuff with relative ease.

For chains, I’m not sure what pitch they are putting on the Husqvarnas stock, I think the 455 is 3/8’s but don’t know about the 550. My 261 Stihl has a .325 pitch full chisel chain on it.

The big differences you will see in the pro saws is more hp per cc, better build quality (metal housings vs plastic) better anti vibe systems and lighter weight. If you’re like me and like to buy something only once the pro saws will not disappoint and will last for decades of cared for. When I was upgrading last year from a homeowner/ ranch saw what drew me to the pro saws was how light they were, I’m not getting any younger and the difference of 2-3 pounds in a saws you use for hours at a time is noticeable.

Anyways, just my 2 penny’s

OP
Advance_lawn_care

Advance_lawn_care

LawnSite Senior Member
Well, the mark 2 550 xp wasn't in stock and hasn't been since October. They had one 460 and one 450. I grabbed the 460 and as I did the bar cover slid off and as it fell I missed catching it and cut my hand on the chain. Kinda felt like it was telling me I'm not worthy of using it so I bought the last 450. Dealer, his staff and me all got a laugh out of it. Told me if I hurt myself picking it up it may not be a good fit and nervous about selling it to me.

I chose the 450 for the weight difference over the 460. I have enough small stuff to cut I can deal with being a little slower on the bigger stuff if items I can work with a lighter saw.

Kinda wish they had the mark 2 in stock tho...

Integrity-LC

LawnSite Member
I’m sure it will serve you well. Buy some chainsaw chaps with the money you saved if you don’t own some already.

Crazy 4 grass

LawnSite Fanatic
Yes absolutely get some chaps.

Forester brand can be had on Amazon for only $40.

I would also recommend a forestry helmet.

This is basically a hard hat hearing protection and flip down face shield in one unit. They are really nice for keeping brush out of your face.

I was in your position not too long ago and bought a Stihl ms261 and I've been nothing but pleased with it.

That was a good move on your part not running the 172 death. Anyting over 6in is kind of overkill for that saw

OP
Advance_lawn_care

Advance_lawn_care

LawnSite Senior Member
Yep, chaps are ordered. Learned to sharpen chains Sunday, basically did everything wrong and learned the right way to do it. Put the chain on backwards, atleast figured out what I did wrong pretty quick. The whole day I only sharpened the cutters on one side. Noticed by the end of the day the saw was cutting these weird curves. Dad pointed out to me the dull cutters I overlooked on the other side of the chain. Figure by the end of this project I maybe half decent using a saw.

Top Forums