1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, in the Franchising forum.

Dismiss Notice

MTD tiller?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by terryzrx1200, Nov 23, 2007.

1. terryzrx1200

terryzrx1200 LawnSite Member

I was given a 1986 MTD rear tine tiller that had been sitting outside for about a year. Only problem I have is with engine off and pulling backwards the right side wheel does not move, but when pushed forward both wheels rotate. I do know that the right side wheel is the drive wheel that turns the axl for both wheels. Any ideas? By the way I was given the tiller from a friend for free. I cleaned it up, lubed everything cleaned the carb, dumped the old gas and changed the oil and the baby started on the third pull. What a deal. It looks like a solid machine. Anyone ever own one of these. Still need to replace both drive cables ( tine drive and wheel drive). Thanks Terry

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Posting the model number off this unit would be helpful....

3. terryzrx1200

model number is 405-000.

4. Restrorob

As you can see in the pic below the wheel axle is a one piece shaft, Check your wheel to axle pins and or see if you can pull one wheel out. It's possible the axle broke but un-likely.

MTD Tiller Trans.JPG

5. terryzrx1200

Thanks for the tip. I took the right side wheel off and found that one of the two pawls was rusted and not disengaging from the drive sprocket. I lubed them up, it now works fine. Went to the sight that you got the drawing from. Great wealth of info. Thanks a lot. Terry

6. Restrorob

Hmmm ;)

How did you do that ???

That was my dealer's only (Log-in) site....

7. terryzrx1200

I did a search on MTD tillers. Went to there main sight and put in my tiller model number and drawings like the one you posted came up. So I asumed that was the same site you used. ( mtdproducts.com ) Great find. Thanks anyway. Terry