1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

Mulch Bed Edger

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by ericsteiner925, Apr 11, 2014.

1. ericsteiner925

ericsteiner925 LawnSite Member

I have a ton of mulch jobs lined up and I do not want to use a shovel. I've done it before. I'm curious if you guys can give me some options on edgers. Something that is good, and affordable, that won't cost me a leg and a arm to get.

Thank you so much

2. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

Theres too many too list. I have a Brown they can be had used for around 1200$ or 2500$ new. I think Echo has one on a stick for around 6oo$ but I don't know how good it is.

3. yardatwork

yardatwork LawnSite Senior Member

I have a Tanaka stick edger...it's ok...but...nothing beats a $15 shovel. And shovel edging, hands down, looks the best!

4. ericsteiner925

ericsteiner925 LawnSite Member

I have a $15 shovel too, and it looks great at my house....but when you have a huge job with like 17 different mulch beds a shovel will take you forever

5. yardatwork

yardatwork LawnSite Senior Member

I once had a 50 condo housing development and I edged it every year with a shovel. Each condo had roughly 80'-100' of edging to do. If you edge fast enough and have a worker following and picking out the sod/dirt...spending $600+ on a fancy edger isn't worth it in my opinion.

6. AMW Landscaping

AMW Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Brown seems to be the way to go

7. nnusskern

nnusskern LawnSite Member

I have a bed shaper bed edger for sale if you are interested
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. andersman02

andersman02 LawnSite Senior Member

For creating brand new beds? A brown will be hard to beat for the $$. If you have money to burn, a turf teq would be even better.

If just redefining beds, Id get with some kind of powerfull stick edger maybe?

I wouldnt be caugt using a shovel for anything more than 20'! Save your bad!