1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

mulch how many in hr

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by cutbetterthanyou, Jan 23, 2007.

1. cutbetterthanyou

cutbetterthanyou LawnSite Bronze Member

i am bidding a new job i don't do a lot of mulching mostly grass cutting. how may yards of mulch do you figure on per an hour . i will probally have 4 guys may more. but you can just give me a one man rate if you want. also do you charge any less for big jobs just to try to get them i figured on 267 yards of mulch so i really want the job

2. WALKER LANDSCAPE

WALKER LANDSCAPE LawnSite Bronze Member

Are you saying you need 267 yards of mulch for one job. WOW one man will probably take you a weed.:dizzy: One man can usually do one and half yards an hour. If thats what your looking for.:waving:

3. tjsquickcuts

tjsquickcuts LawnSite Senior Member
    from Atlanta

Wow, 267 yards for one job....Thats Huge....Thats over $20k in Gross Profits for me, charging $65 Per Yard just for the Mulch, not including prep work.....Good luck....hope I can catch a deal like that.....

4. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

You may want to think about subbing it out to a mulch blower. I will guarantee that is will be just as cheap if you include your labor and overhead. That is a crapload of mulch. Heck that's 3 tractor trailers worth.

I met with the mulch blower at a recent convention and I got quoted 35/yd hardwood and something like 45/yd for dyed mulch. For this particular job I charge 80/yd due to the limited access and hilly terrain. This job is 15 yards. So I would be charging the customer 1200. Mulch blower would cost me 675 for dyed. I'd basically make 500 bucks with a phone call and meeting the blower the day of.

Can't imagine what you would make on over 200 yards. Probablly get the cost down below 30/yd.

something to chew on.

5. Travel'n Trees

Travel'n Trees LawnSite Senior Member

With a 4 man crew it should be be a easy 2 day job, with wheelbarrels, and a dump truck and a loader to load the dump truck on a job that size, I don't charge for prep work my guys can do it while I reload.

6. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

7. tnmulchblower

tnmulchblower LawnSite Member

CUTBETTERTHANYOU,I would look at contracting the mulch blower truck,like the quote above that gave that same opinion,I own a mulch blower truck and could spread that in 2 days max counting driving time and all,could do in 1 day if material was offloaded on site and rent a loader to keep truck loaded. Thats what I do not understand with landscape contractors here. They think that I am out to take there business,they can sub-contract the mulch application to me,charge customer 60.00 yrd,make at least 20.00 yrd and never touch the job,plus,lets there employees focus on other jobs,would like some replies to this mindset. I am not out to take there customers,just help them with there mulch application. Thanks

8. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

I wish you were closer, I'd have you do all of our mulch jobs. 276yrd is a butt load of mulch! that might even be a speacial order. To give my .02 cents, I would buy it in bulk, dump it at the site and sub out the bark blower.

9. tnmulchblower

tnmulchblower LawnSite Member

I wish you were closer, I'd have you do all of our mulch jobs. 276yrd is a butt load of mulch! that might even be a speacial order. To give my .02 cents, I would buy it in bulk, dump it at the site and sub out the bark blower.

Thanks for the reply nobagger,If I were closer would help you with all your mulch applications. Would like to hear more thoughts and replies.

10. gringo gardener

gringo gardener LawnSite Member

for me down here i figure thats almost a full 3 trailer loads of product (90yds ea) ... if its dumped to a close proximity 1 laborer should be able to place 3 yds/hr ... u will benefit by an articulating or skid loader to place materials

most co's will charge 20-25$ man/hr for hand throwing materials while there are several outfits that will blow the product in for about $35/yd depending on materials that can easily be raised to $50 for the customer and still stay competitive